"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Show us your first 2019 purchase

Started by FABphones, January 09, 2019, 04:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Show us your first purchase in 2019.

This years phone finds have got off to a nice start for me.  :)
A tie between an AE A-1 and this Siemens 312, this Siemens was the first to arrive so here it is.   :D

What I like about this Siemens model is their sharp contour. These are getting harder to find in good condition, many have breaks to the sides. This one in need of a little attention, but you guys know by now how much I enjoy restoring Bakelite. This one has it's original cords, and it's original early black fingerwheel #10 dial. Price £60. I've seen them fetch more in much worse condition.

---
Members who have posted their first purchase:

andy1702
AT2796
Babybearjs
Bob S
Butch Harlow
Doug Rose
dsk
Duffy
dylanc4
Fabius
FABphones
Gary Millam
HarrySmith
Roody
Russ Kirk
skyrider
Stormcrash
SunriseEarth
tubaman

---

NB:
After starting this thread I can now see there is much to discuss about some of your great finds. So maybe in your reply it might be a good idea to add a link to a new thread about your phone, similar to how you would post in 'Find of the Month'. That way anyone seeing the phone here can reply by clicking on the link and discussing there.

I suggest this just to keep this thread tidy for anyone viewing in the months/years to come; so the viewer can see each new purchase easily - and of course to make to life easier for the mods, so nothing has to be separated out...

Thanks guys.
:)  :)  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

I picked up these NE 554's Jan.03/19 for $10.00 each. Black one is a 1959 soft plastic and the Red one is a 1973. I fixed up the black one, changed out the dial and handset with cord. Just have to buff the soft plastic body. I'll do that this spring when the weather is better and I can open the garage doors. Not sure when I will get around to working on the red one.

Bob S

This is my first phone of the year an all metal Kellogg Red Bar. I am still in the dog house for this purchase. I have become a Phone junke

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Bob S on January 09, 2019, 08:41:31 AM
This is my first phone of the year an all metal Kellogg Red Bar. I am still in the dog house for this purchase. I have become a Phone junke

That phone looks really nice, but don't drop it on your foot.  The metal 1000s are quite heavy.

Larry

Larry

Bob S

Thanks for the advice Lary I also know don't let wife beat you with it.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Bob S on January 09, 2019, 12:15:14 PM
Thanks for the advice Lary I also know don't let wife beat you with it.
Then don't tell Her what you really paid for it.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Babybearjs

Here's mine.... although Fedex has decided to let the POST OFFICE deliver the package! (What??)

I was browsing, looking for another 20 button phone when I happened across this one. put in the bid for $40 and won it. not many people buying these. saw a ITT 20 button for $5.00 and told the seller to hold it for me, lost the link and never saw the phone relisted. at $5.00, its a goner! anyway, here is my first 2833. interesting phone... anxious to open it up and take a peek inside... BTW, since the phone number is still attached, does anyone recognize it?
John

skyrider

First purchase of a telephone bought on Dec. 29 received Jan 9th a Stromberg Carlson white 1543. First telephone accessory purchased in a lot with 3 ringers a WE 759A Home Interphone speaker box dated 8-61. I have tried to buy a WE 759 for years but got out bid every time. This time I bid early and forgot to rebid and was surprised that no one else bid on it.

Bill Compton

tubaman

I've just got this AE80 which I've posted more details about here - http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21715.0
:)

Gary Millam

I found this WE key set telephone this past weekend at an indoor flea market in Bourne, MA.
It is marked E4 on the back and has a 4H dial. Somewhere along the way it was gutted
and converted to a single line telephone with 302 components stuffed inside. I do not
know if this conversion was bell system approved or not. Here are a few photos of my find.

Gary Millam

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Gary Millam on January 10, 2019, 02:15:38 PM
. Somewhere along the way it was gutted
and converted to a single line telephone with 302 components stuffed inside. I do not
know if this conversion was bell system approved or not.

Gary Millam
It may of been converted for war shortage, or the Telephone Pioneers, or an individual.
That isn't an easy phone to find.
You should post it in the Find of the Month
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Gary Z

Yes, I have heard they were converted during the war. I have found several of them that were converted the same way. I have one now that I am cleaning up.

Gary Z

HarrySmith

That is very cool! My guess from looking at the way it was done is that is was done by the Bell System. Becuase of the neat way the wiring is done, the way the components are installed and the gasket. Definetly not home made.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Butch Harlow

My first of the year was this beautiful Siemens 366. A full discussion of the phone can be found at:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21714.0

Butch Harlow

Gary Z

My first find this year is this damaged and still a nice looking Kellogg "RED" red bar desk set.

A full discussion of the phone can be found at:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21706.0