News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Please verify AE34A3B? Update:AE34A3A

Started by cloyd, August 16, 2015, 05:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I measured the cradle of my model 34A3B and sure enough the cradle measurements are different than my other two models.  The ear width is narrower, and the overall width of the cradle area is a little smaller.  The 41 handset does fit a little better on the 34A3B, but still not perfect.  The handle is not symmetric - the end by the transmitter is a little fatter than the receiver end.  The fatter side prevents the handset from sliding all the way to the left, but it will slide all the way to the right.  The only way to slide it all the way to the left is if the handle lifts up. 

This has been a great discussion.  I finally know the difference between the three models.  I'm surprised that AE would manufacture an entirely different shell just to accommodate the 41 handset.
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on September 17, 2015, 05:35:05 PM
I'm surprised that AE would manufacture an entirely different shell just to accommodate the 41 handset.

I suppose it's not much different than WECo making a new shell to reuse old 302 bases while giving the customer the illusion of having something more modern.

Thanks for the measurements.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: cloyd on September 17, 2015, 03:52:54 PM
The AE1A phone handset looks like the type 38.  If it is, can you tell which type this is?

It is hard to tell *exactly* which handset it is but it is a later one with a flat handle. The transmitter cap has a deep "spit cup" so it does not have a Type 41 transmitter module; so not the last of them. It would be OK with your telephone except that it is finished in brass and has a black cord.

I'd look for auctions for just handsets or perhaps broken phones with good handsets. Don't but shiny expensive ones and be prepared to be disappointed with some. They are often chipped at the cable entry point and many people use the "bigger hammer" approach to cap removal. This results in the internal Bakelite key being broken off. Often there is a worn "dent" in the centre-underside of the handle; this is caused by the hook switch plunger after many, many phone calls. It is worst on phones with a Bakelite plunger. You will get what you want eventually.

The phone in the auction is interesting. It is neither an AE 1 (the one with the tall perch) nor an AE 1-A (the one with the short perch); it is a combination of parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301743238462

Jack

AE_Collector

Okay, ohm meter results are in. I found a third AE 34A3 here to check as well. All three including the one that appears to be a 34A3B have induction coils with windings of 13 - 14 - 220 ohms.

Terry

Quote from: unbeldi on September 17, 2015, 08:32:41 AM
Quote from: AE_Collector on September 17, 2015, 02:03:13 AM

So I am guessing that I might have a 34A3 and a 34A3B that has had a type 38 handset put on it. Everything electrical appears to be identical on these two phones.

Terry

Are the induction coils labeled at all?
Would it be possible for you to measure their resistance across the primary or secondary coils?
If any differences, it should be 13 vs 20 ohms (P) and 14 vs 30 ohms (S).

Other than that, the two bases should be identical. We don't appear to have records anywhere that describe what AE sets underwent during refurbishing, as we do for the Bell System, where they dotted, striped, or marked the smallest nuances of sets.

cloyd

I am still trying to find the correct type 38 handset.  The insides of this one is not the AST version but it isn't what I expected either.  Is this what they are supposed to look like?  Let me know what you think of this one.  It was a lineman's handset.
Thank you,
Tina

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

wds

Personally I don't like these newer handsets - if you look at the transmitter contact at the bottom, you can see it's bent.  Those things always break off, and that one looks like it's ready to go - and you can't get replacements.  i much prefer the older style transmitter that's almost burger proof.
Dave

stub

Tina,
          The one you have pictured above is the Type 38 Handset conversion -
          2nd and 3rd pic is a standard Type 38 Handset - 34A3
          4th pic is 41 with a mouthpiece that matches the catalogs for 34A3B minus the chrome bands.
          It is possible that the Type 38 Handset conversion could be correct for your phone ?   stub

( Left click on pics to enlarge )
Kenneth Stubblefield

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 18, 2015, 01:50:35 AM
Okay, ohm meter results are in. I found a third AE 34A3 here to check as well. All three including the one that appears to be a 34A3B have induction coils with windings of 13 - 14 - 220 ohms.

Terry

Quote from: unbeldi on September 17, 2015, 08:32:41 AM
Quote from: AE_Collector on September 17, 2015, 02:03:13 AM

So I am guessing that I might have a 34A3 and a 34A3B that has had a type 38 handset put on it. Everything electrical appears to be identical on these two phones.

Terry

Are the induction coils labeled at all?
Would it be possible for you to measure their resistance across the primary or secondary coils?
If any differences, it should be 13 vs 20 ohms (P) and 14 vs 30 ohms (S).

Other than that, the two bases should be identical. We don't appear to have records anywhere that describe what AE sets underwent during refurbishing, as we do for the Bell System, where they dotted, striped, or marked the smallest nuances of sets.

Thanks for the measurements.
But it doesn't settle any questions at this time, unfortunately.  Perhaps the bases simply got mixed up in refurbishing, or there is something else to consider.