"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Please verify AE34A3B? Update:AE34A3A

Started by cloyd, August 16, 2015, 05:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: cloyd on August 17, 2015, 07:52:47 PM
The induction coil number is D282781.  I still hope that is a good thing.
Tina
That's beautiful.
You can hardly have a "bad thing" with this phone.  ;)

cloyd

Quote from: wds on August 16, 2015, 07:58:29 PM
Put a type 38 handset on it and I think you will be way north of $200.
Stub posted this in another string, "Your phone could be a 34A3B. Do this test. Put your 41 handset with the transmitter on the left and slowly push it to the right to center it (evenly spaced) in the cradle. If the receiver starts to raise up, before it is centered, its a 34A3, if not you have a 34A3B case ( AE Catalog 4055 C pg. 16) and the 41 is the correct handset for it and the spitcup is a little different, pg. 48 of same catalog. The 34A3 uses the 38 handset ."

My phone causes the handset to raise up.  That suggests it is the earlier 34A3 but it has the later type 41 handset.  Yes?  Did only 34A3B's have the cut out handle?  I'm confused.

I agree, the type 38 handset is very cool.  Is it the appropriate handset for this phone?  Is this a 34A3B or a 34A3?

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

wds

You decide.  You could keep your existing handset and a very nice phone for cheap, or for another $40 or so you could have a real beauty.
Dave

stub

Here's a pic of the B version .  Yours looks like the A version.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jack Ryan

It is neither an AE 34A3 nor an AE 34A3B.

The 34A3 was released in 1934 and appeared in AE catalogues from then until the AE 40 was released. At that time, the AE 34A3B was also released - it was identical to the 34A3 except that the cradle was modified to accept the Type 41 handset. The 34A3B does not have a handle and the bell motor is mounted on an angle just as it is in the 34A3.

The telephone with a handle is a hybrid between the AE 34A3 and the AE 40. I have not seen it in any catalogues. It is, perhaps, one of the designs used in developing the AE 40. I do not know - but I would like to.

Jack

unbeldi

Very good, I was about to suggest to you to perform the same test.

But in any case, I am pretty convinced that your phone is not a 34A3B, which was your original quest, sofar unanswered.

I think your phone is the mysteriously undocumented (today) 34A3A.

I didn't know about this designation until recently when I asked about it and Paul-F pointed out this version is mentioned in a 1939 article in Automatic Electric Review: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13919.0 . Our member rdelius has the same phone, which he posted initiated that thread and he saw the designation in an old journal ad, which I have not been able to locate so far.

After some research since your initial post, I have convinced myself fairly well that this identification should be correct.  The article calls this the "easy lift variant" of the 34A3 and it existed before the Type 40 came out, as well as before the Type 34A3B.  I believe this is confirmed by the parts list of the 34A3B in the 1940 catalog, which does not include the two connection blocks next to the ringer, which yours does have.

Your phone was configured from the factory for grounded ringing with two capacitors in the base, and a three-conductor mounting cord.  Earlier today I wrote a short explanation in an old thread where similar questions came up: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14369.msg153511#msg153511

The model number is  L-253-A0.  The same phone configured for metallic ringing with only one condenser and a two-conductor cord was L-250-A0.

I am still trying to sort out the induction coils used in the various types, but this isn't easy.  AE changed the coils slightly having slightly different DC resistances, hence my question.

The handset on your phone is not the original one.  If you want it to be original, you should search for a type 38 handset.  The phone won't sound as as well, but the historic experience will be better.  ;D

stub

I would like to find that out for sure also. Your right because the induction coils are the same in both phones. I read somewhere that this phone was called a AE 34 A 11 and saved the pics of wiring dia and phone, but can't remember where I found it.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

unbeldi

I see was a flurry of other posts while I composed mine.   I am glad none are contradicting my findings.

unbeldi

Here is a snapshot of a reprint in TCI SW of the 1939 article that mentions the 34A3A.

stub

unbeldi,
              In the 4055 C Catalog it shows 2 types of 3 winding induction coils for the AE 40 and 50  , regular D-282996 and super volume D-282805 . I agree with Mr. Ryan " the telephone with a handle is a hybrid between the AE 34A3 and the AE 40. I have not seen it in any catalogues. It is, perhaps, one of the designs used in developing the AE 40. I do not know - but I would like to."  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on August 17, 2015, 08:39:45 PM
It is neither an AE 34A3 nor an AE 34A3B.

The 34A3 was released in 1934 and appeared in AE catalogues from then until the AE 40 was released. At that time, the AE 34A3B was also released - it was identical to the 34A3 except that the cradle was modified to accept the Type 41 handset. The 34A3B does not have a handle and the bell motor is mounted on an angle just as it is in the 34A3.

The telephone with a handle is a hybrid between the AE 34A3 and the AE 40. I have not seen it in any catalogues. It is, perhaps, one of the designs used in developing the AE 40. I do not know - but I would like to.

Jack

Do you have AE catalogs between 1934 and 1939?

I agree about the ringer.
In order to make space for the easy-lift finger hold feature in the cradle, they had to lay the ringer flat on the base and place the terminal boards on both sides.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on August 17, 2015, 09:06:33 PM
Here is a snapshot of a reprint in TCI SW of the 1939 article that mentions the 34A3A.

Interesting. The AE 34A3B is not mentioned in that excerpt implying that the AE 34A3B might be a replacement of the AE 34A3A (the AE 34 with the handle).

Except for the handle, the AE 34A3A in not a step forward in technology so operating companies that had standardised on the AE 34A3 had no real reason to upgrade and have to stock additional parts. The AE 34A3B is more compatible from a parts perspective and the AE 40 more technologically advanced - the AE 34A3A died a natural death.

Pure speculation but reasonable.

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: stub on August 17, 2015, 09:18:14 PM
unbeldi,
              In the 4055 C Catalog it shows 2 types of 3 winding induction coils for the AE 40 and 50  , regular D-282996 and super volume D-282805 . I agree with Mr. Ryan " the telephone with a handle is a hybrid between the AE 34A3 and the AE 40. I have not seen it in any catalogues. It is, perhaps, one of the designs used in developing the AE 40. I do not know - but I would like to."  stub

I don't believe in the "development" hypothesis per se, but surely they must have considered the experience with all variant for the design of the Type 40.

The carrying feature in the Type 40 was actually quite different. The Type 40 had indentation in the side of the cradle ears to provide for firm grip, but not all Type 40 models incorporated it.  The 40 was also available with plain cradle sides.  They designed a second carrying method for the 40, namely the so-called ''butler handle''  which snapped into holes in the metal trim of both cradle posts.

Re induction coils:  Yes, these coils were available in those two versions, usually the "super" version was indicated by an A suffix, but I am not finished compiling what I have found.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on August 17, 2015, 09:23:30 PM

4055A - 1937

Which catalogue was released in 1939 - 4055B?

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on August 17, 2015, 09:33:14 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on August 17, 2015, 09:23:30 PM

4055A - 1937

Which catalogue was released in 1939 - 4055B?

Jack

Here is what I have:

1934:  4055
?
1939:  4033 (Private Telephone Systems)
1940:  4055C
1944:  4055D

Do you have PDF files?