"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Please verify AE34A3B? Update:AE34A3A

Started by cloyd, August 16, 2015, 05:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

Quote from: rdelius on September 05, 2015, 12:17:49 PM
When I posted photos of my set, I could not find this information in my files.Copied from Telephony or Telephone Engineering and Management 1938.Did not write down the exact date- This was 25 years ago
The type 40 might have been a few months sooner
Thank you for taking the time to find these!  Very cool.
Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

unbeldi

Perhaps this is a reasonable reconstruction of the page spread.
Full resolution PDF is attached with searchable index (ocr).

unbeldi

I wonder whether this phone was delivered by AE with a plug on the mounting cord, rather than the Bakelite connection box.

cloyd

Hello all!  I need your help again.
I am looking for a type 38 handset for my AE34a3a but I don't know how to verify from a photo, like on ebay, that it is the appropriate handset.  Wasn't there a similar handset on the A1?  If these are different handsets, how can you tell them apart?  If not from the photo, then from something printed inside that I could ask the seller a question about.

Here are a couple of pictures of handsets that appeared on ebay that I passed up because I didn't know.  This is a link to an ebay phone that may have what I need.  Antique-AUTOMATIC-ELECTRIC-Monophone-Telephone-Art-Deco-Bakelite-c1925

Thank you for your help,
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

unbeldi

Indeed the 1A, and the 34A, and others used the same type of handset. However, there were two very different kinds that look identical until you open them or examine the circuit inside the telephone housing.  Aside from the "normal" handset for use with an induction coil telephone, they made another version which had the induction coil integrated with the receiver. Both the 1A and the 34A could be so equipped.

They also had an antinoise variety with a special transmitter and slightly different spit cup shape, but those would probably be rare to find, but would also be acceptable on a 34.

cloyd

Unbeldi,
So, you are saying that I should ask for photos of the interior of the handset.  Is that right?  If it has an induction coil, I should pass, but if it doesn't, it would probably be appropriate for my AE34a3a?  Does anyone have photos of the interior of these two types of receivers?
Thank you,
Tina Loyd

Jack Ryan

Quote from: cloyd on September 15, 2015, 02:17:59 PM
I am looking for a type 38 handset for my AE34a3a but I don't know how to verify from a photo, like on ebay, that it is the appropriate handset.

The handsets you displayed are the correct type. There are several versions of that handset; most can be distinguished from the outside - only the AST type handset can't.

The correct handset:
- has a flat surface on the underside of the handle as shown in your images
- has a sloping transmitter module (and a type 41 transmitter) - I assume this is correct as the phone was released after the type 41 handset.
- has chrome (not nickel) or black bands
- has a black cord not a brown one

To determine if the handset is an AST type or not you need to see inside. The AST *receiver* has a single round coil inside and it is not magnetic - that is, the diaphragm will fall off.

I am going by memory at the moment - if I have forgotten something I'm sure someone will correct me.

Regards
Jack

Doug Rose

Tina....did it work with the handset that you received the phone with? It is the correct handset and will look great. Did the handset have the chrome caps that match the dial? I'd keep it as is, but that's just me. Did it clean up well with the Citrix stripper?....Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 15, 2015, 07:18:11 PM
Tina....did it work with the handset that you received the phone with? It is the correct handset and will look great. Did the handset have the chrome caps that match the dial? I'd keep it as is, but that's just me. Did it clean up well with the Citrix stripper?....Doug

Doug,

The handset that came with the phone is a painted type 41 - not the correct handset. Or have I missed something?

Jack

unbeldi

We have already established that a No. 41 handset is not the correct one.   This phone model was available before the Type 40 was introduced, which was the first to have the 41 handset.

unbeldi

Quote from: cloyd on September 15, 2015, 03:17:55 PM
Unbeldi,
So, you are saying that I should ask for photos of the interior of the handset.  Is that right?  If it has an induction coil, I should pass, but if it doesn't, it would probably be appropriate for my AE34a3a?  Does anyone have photos of the interior of these two types of receivers?
Thank you,
Tina Loyd

You want to see the inside of the receiver cavity.  As Jack just pointed out you'll see the difference in the magnet assembly, the induction coil receiver has more than just two wires.

stub

Here you go.  Induction coil receiver is not the one for your phone, you need the regular one (3rd pic ) with two wires on the  receiver . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jack Ryan on September 15, 2015, 07:28:10 PM

The handset that came with the phone is a painted type 41 - not the correct handset. Or have I missed something?

Jack

Jack ...I had found two of what I thought were AE34A3Bs with the chrome dial and matching chrome bands so I thought it was the correct handset. Neither had the cutout. Both phones were in working order. I guess I was wrong....Doug
Doug,
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 16, 2015, 07:02:05 AM
I had found two of what I thought were AE34A3Bs with the chrome dial and matching chrome bands so I thought it was the correct handset. Neither had the cutout. Both phones were in working order. I guess I was wrong....Doug
Doug,

Doug,

The AE 34A3 and the AE 34A3A use the Type 38 style handset but the AE 34A3B uses a Type 41 handset. The cradle of the AE 34A3B is modified so that the Type 41 handset fits properly.

Jack

Doug Rose

Kidphone