News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT 2500 dial issue

Started by Holtzer-Cabot, October 03, 2016, 06:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holtzer-Cabot

I just got an ITT 2500 in orange with a black handset cord at an antique store, so I call it the 'Halloween phone" :P Anyways, I got it working, except the middle row of touch-tone buttons on the dial don't produce the right tones. It sounds like there is only 1 tone going though. Is the dial shot? Also, there is one wire that looks like it sheared off of something, as it has the remains of a soldered terminal on the end of it. It is a white wire with black and blue(?) stripes on it. Anyone know what this wire goes to? Thanks!

Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

poplar1

The red line wire goes to L2, where the slate/yellow Switch Hook wire is. When the phone is off-hook, slate/yellow connects through the switch hook contacts to the slate/brown switch hook wire. So, if you don't have the slate/brown hooked up, the circuit is open -- no dial tone. Depending on which dial you have, the slate/brown hookswitch wire will connect either to C on the network, or directly to the back of the dial.

The solid brown wire goes FROM the static shield on the front of the dial  to L1 on the network.

What is the part number stamped on the dial? Does it have all 8 wires listed above, + the brown wire from the static shield?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on October 03, 2016, 08:17:31 PM
The red line wire goes to L2, where the slate/yellow Switch Hook wire is. When the phone is off-hook, slate/yellow connects through the switch hook contacts to the slate/brown switch hook wire. So, if you don't have the slate/brown hooked up, the circuit is open -- no dial tone. Depending on which dial you have, the slate/brown hookswitch wire will connect either to C on the network, or directly to the back of the dial.

The solid brown wire goes FROM the static shield on the front of the dial  to L1 on the network.

What is the part number stamped on the dial? Does it have all 8 wires listed above, + the brown wire from the static shield?
The dial looks to say "32 OPG" and a number 10. I don't know if that is the model, or? And there is no brown wire going to L1 or coming off the dial at all. I have a dial tone now, and everything works except the middle row of buttons don't produce the right tone. There is a mysterious wire coming off the dial, that I don't know where it would of went. It doesn't have a spade on it, it has a piece of soldered terminal on it. It looks to be a white wire, with black and most likely blue stripes on it. It is pretty short. Could this be why the dial isn't working fully?
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

TelePlay

This is the post and phone information from the topic posted yesterday, for posterity.

===========

"I just got an ITT 2500 in orange with a black handset cord at an antique store, so I call it the 'Halloween phone" :P Anyways, I don't know much about it as I just got it home and opened it up. The housing and dial were loose, and the cover over the back of the dial was missing. There is a white wire with black stripes that is hanging from the dial, not connected to anything. There also appears to be a gray wire with a red stripe with a spade connector on it coming from the hook-switch. It has a circuit board network, and I plugged it in, and i get nothing. No dial tone, nothing. Any ideas on where to start with it? (sorry, right now I am using Linux Mint 16 on my computer and can't find out how to use my Logitech webcam with it, so I can't take photos of it at the moment.)
I just started following this wiring diagram: Line cord:

Red to terminal L2
Green to terminal L1
Yellow to terminal G
Black insulated and stored

Ringer:

Red to terminal L2
Black to terminal L1
Slate to terminal A
Slate/red to terminal K

Dial:

Brown (static shield) to terminal L1
Orange/black to terminal C
Black to terminal RR
Blue to terminal B
Red to terminal E1
White to terminal E2
Green to terminal F
White/blue to terminal R
Red/green to terminal R

Handset:

Red to terminal E1
Black to terminal B
White to terminal E2
Other white to terminal GN

Switch Hook:

Slate to terminal L2
Slate/yellow to terminal L2
Slate/green to terminal L1
Slate/white to terminal F
Slate/black to terminal GN
Slate/red to terminal E2
Slate/brown to terminal L2 on back of dial.

First off, I don't know what it means by slate/brown being on L2 on the back of the dial..on the network, there is no more room on L2 to put that wire! And the handset jack only has one white wire. I don't see a terminal R, I just see RR. Unless R is the one with the letter covered up..it is the last terminal on the right side of the network. Right now, I have a few wires floating in space, they are: slate/brown from hook-switch, white wire from dial (no room for it on E2) and there is a mystery wire (white with blue and black stripes) coming off the dial with no spade lug on it, I don't know where that goes. And there is no brown wire coming off the dial. Help!!"

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: TelePlay on October 03, 2016, 08:34:08 PM
This is the post and phone information from the topic posted yesterday, for posterity.

===========

"I just got an ITT 2500 in orange with a black handset cord at an antique store, so I call it the 'Halloween phone" :P Anyways, I don't know much about it as I just got it home and opened it up. The housing and dial were loose, and the cover over the back of the dial was missing. There is a white wire with black stripes that is hanging from the dial, not connected to anything. There also appears to be a gray wire with a red stripe with a spade connector on it coming from the hook-switch. It has a circuit board network, and I plugged it in, and i get nothing. No dial tone, nothing. Any ideas on where to start with it? (sorry, right now I am using Linux Mint 16 on my computer and can't find out how to use my Logitech webcam with it, so I can't take photos of it at the moment.)
I just started following this wiring diagram: Line cord:

Red to terminal L2
Green to terminal L1
Yellow to terminal G
Black insulated and stored

Ringer:

Red to terminal L2
Black to terminal L1
Slate to terminal A
Slate/red to terminal K

Dial:

Brown (static shield) to terminal L1
Orange/black to terminal C
Black to terminal RR
Blue to terminal B
Red to terminal E1
White to terminal E2
Green to terminal F
White/blue to terminal R
Red/green to terminal R

Handset:

Red to terminal E1
Black to terminal B
White to terminal E2
Other white to terminal GN

Switch Hook:

Slate to terminal L2
Slate/yellow to terminal L2
Slate/green to terminal L1
Slate/white to terminal F
Slate/black to terminal GN
Slate/red to terminal E2
Slate/brown to terminal L2 on back of dial.

First off, I don't know what it means by slate/brown being on L2 on the back of the dial..on the network, there is no more room on L2 to put that wire! And the handset jack only has one white wire. I don't see a terminal R, I just see RR. Unless R is the one with the letter covered up..it is the last terminal on the right side of the network. Right now, I have a few wires floating in space, they are: slate/brown from hook-switch, white wire from dial (no room for it on E2) and there is a mystery wire (white with blue and black stripes) coming off the dial with no spade lug on it, I don't know where that goes. And there is no brown wire coming off the dial. Help!!"
Yeah, I reposted it since no one ever replied on that post I made. And now I have it working except for the dial.

poplar1

A "row" is a horizontal group such as 4,5,6. A "column" is a vertical group such as 2,5,8,0. Is it a row of buttons or a column of buttons that is not working?

Each button should produce two tones, a low tone common to all the buttons in the same row (1,2,3 or 4,5,6 or 7,8,9 or *,0,#) and a high tone common to all the buttons in the same column (1,4,7,* or 2,5,8,0 or 3,6,9,#). On an older dial such as the ITT 32 OPG and Westen Electric 35-type, if you push two buttons in the same row at the same time, such as 1 and 4, you should hear just one low tone. Or, if you push two in the same column (such as 3 and 6 together), you should hear only the one high tone common to those buttons.

Can you try that with each row and column? Apparently, there is one row or column that won't produce a tone, since you said you hear only one tone if certain buttons are pressed. If you look at the contacts on each side of the dial, you will see that one set of contacts will close every time any button in the same row or column is pressed. Find the one that closes every time the dial is not working. That contact is probably dirty and can be cleaned by using a business card or other paper. Don't use anything more abrasive, or you may remove the gold from the contacts. Insert the card between the contacts, then hold the button down to create some pressure on the card. Then while still holding the button down, pull a portion of the card through the contacts to clean any débris that might be present.

If, on the other hand, you already hear two tones for each button pressed, then it is possible that one of the tones is off frequency. What kind of telephone line are you using -- traditional land line from the phone company, Magic Jack, cable modem, etc.? The newer type lines are less tolerant of tones that are not the precise frequency.

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on October 04, 2016, 08:44:50 AM
A "row" is a horizontal group such as 4,5,6. A "column" is a vertical group such as 2,5,8,0. Is it a row of buttons or a column of buttons that is not working?

Each button should produce two tones, a low tone common to all the buttons in the same row (1,2,3 or 4,5,6 or 7,8,9 or *,0,#) and a high tone common to all the buttons in the same column (1,4,7,* or 2,5,8,0 or 3,6,9,#). On an older dial such as the ITT 32 OPG and Western Electric 35-type, if you push two buttons in the same row at the same time, such as 1 and 4, you should hear just one low tone. Or, if you push two in the same column (such as 3 and 6 together), you should hear only the one high tone common to those buttons.

Can you try that with each row and column? Apparently, there is one row or column that won't produce a tone, since you said you hear only one tone if certain buttons are pressed. If you look at the contacts on each side of the dial, you will see that one set of contacts will close every time any button in the same row or column is pressed. Find the one that closes every time the dial is not working. That contact is probably dirty and can be cleaned by using a business card or other paper. Don't use anything more abrasive, or you may remove the gold from the contacts. Insert the card between the contacts, then hold the button down to create some pressure on the card. Then while still holding the button down, pull a portion of the card through the contacts to clean any débris that might be present.

If, on the other hand, you already hear two tones for each button pressed, then it is possible that one of the tones is off frequency. What kind of telephone line are you using -- traditional land line from the phone company, Magic Jack, cable modem, etc.? The newer type lines are less tolerant of tones that are not the precise frequency.
It is the middle column that isn't working right. I am at school right now, (i'm 14) I will try pressing the buttons when I get home. I don't think it is a dirty contact, but i will try to clean them too. I still think it may be because of the mystery wire on the back of the dial. It looks to be a white wire, with black and faint blue stripes on it. Where should this wire go? On the network? I don't think so because there is no spade connector on it. And I am using a regular POTS line in my house. My '61 500 works fine on the same jack i'm using, so the problem isn't the line.
I am more familiar with the Western Electric 302s, 500s, and 1500/2500s, not the ITT ones as much. (the PCB network is new to me) and I even have a 1903 hand crank wall phone!

poplar1

If that wire was causing the problem, then none of the buttons would work, not just the one column. Is there another wire that would be white-blue, or do you think the wire with no spade tip is white-blue? Perhaps the wire was longer and had a spade tip originally? Your connection list shows white-blue white dial wire, one receiver wire, and slate-red switchhook wire on E2. (E2 may be a double terminal so that you can use either side for connecting wires.)

I thought that the PCB dials were 42 OPGs. I really am not familiar with ITT part numbers, though.

poplar1

There is a "slate-blue" wire shown in the ITT practice for the 32 OPG dial (in TCI library):
Fig 3:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/4426-itt-55-032-117-i1-pushbutton-dials-models-32-36

However, I can't find a diagram for an ITT 2500 with 32 OPG dial. The diagram in TCI library is apparently for a newer 2500, with 42 OPG dial, because the blue dial wire is going to terminal GN rather than B in this version:
http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/1953-itt-2500-style-telephones-k-2500-tl

Does anyone have a diagram for ITT 2500 using the 32 OPG dial?

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on October 04, 2016, 09:43:38 AM
If that wire was causing the problem, then none of the buttons would work, not just the one column. Is there another wire that would be white-blue, or do you think the wire with no spade tip is white-blue? Perhaps the wire was longer and had a spade tip originally? Your connection list shows white-blue dial wire, one receiver wire, and slate-red switchhook wire on E2. (E2 may be a double terminal so that you can use either side for connecting wires.)

I thought that the PCB dials were 42 OPGs. I really am not familiar with ITT part numbers, though.
I remember that was a white-blue wire from the dial, and that is on terminal R on the network. The mystery wire definitely has black on it. It looks like there is also a blue stripe on it with the black. E2 is a double terminal.

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on October 04, 2016, 10:17:57 AM
There is a "slate-blue" wire shown in the ITT practice for the 32 OPG dial (in TCI library):
Fig 3:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/4426-itt-55-032-117-i1-pushbutton-dials-models-32-36

However, I can't find a diagram for an ITT 2500 with 32 OPG dial. The diagram in TCI library is apparently for a newer 2500, with 42 OPG dial, because the blue dial wire is going to terminal GN rather than B in this version:
http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/1953-itt-2500-style-telephones-k-2500-tl

Does anyone have a diagram for ITT 2500 using the 32 OPG dial?
By the way, this wire also has black on it.

poplar1

There is a wire called "slate-blue" that goes to the polarity guard on the back of the dial. Not sure where it connects since I can't find a diagram for the ITT 2500 with 32 OPG dial.

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on October 04, 2016, 10:34:41 AM
There is a wire called "slate-blue" that goes to the polarity guard on the back of the dial. Not sure where it connects since I can't find a diagram for the ITT 2500 with 32 OPG dial.
That's another thing, my dial doesn't seem to have a static shield, there is no brown wire going to the network from the dial. I wonder if I could swap the dial out of a W.E. 2554 phone and put it in this one. Would it work?

poplar1

I found an ITT 2500 with 32 OPG dial at Sonny's warehouse today. The 32 OPG has 8 leads to the network, not counting the slate/brown switch hook wire that connects to the quick-connect terminal in the upper right corner as you look at the back of the dial. The 8 leads are red, red-green, white, white-blue, black, blue, orange-black and green. I don't see a white one with black and blue stripes!

There are two other dial leads with white tape on them: slate-blue and brown-black. These wires are not used unless you want to disable the polarity guard. (The polarity guard ensures that the phone will dial out even if the polarity of the line is reversed.)

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on October 04, 2016, 02:08:30 PM
I found an ITT 2500 with 32 OPG dial at Sonny's warehouse today. The 32 OPG has 8 leads to the network, not counting the slate/brown switch hook wire that connects to the quick-connect terminal in the upper right corner as you look at the back of the dial. The 8 leads are red, red-green, white, white-blue, black, blue, orange-black and green. I don't see a white one with black and blue stripes!

There are two other dial leads with white tape on them: slate-blue and brown-black. These wires are not used unless you want to disable the polarity guard. (The polarity guard ensures that the phone will dial out even if the polarity of the line is reversed.)
Guys sit tight! Later I will be able to take some photos of the phone, network wiring, and the dial wiring with the mystery wire, hopefully then we can figure out the issue! And yes I count 8 wires, not counting the switch-hook wire. The mystery wire doesn't appear to ever have been connected to the network. But I am not sure. it comes out of the mass of wires from the dial.  I don't even know when this phone was made, but there is a sticker on the bottom saying it was 'purchased from Lancaster Telco, and warranty expires: 9-8-86 and control #: 06895' was it refurbished? Anyone know where ITT put date codes?