News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT 2500 dial issue

Started by Holtzer-Cabot, October 03, 2016, 06:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

ITT usually put date on dial (this one is marked "32 OPG 11-78" and perhaps on the ringer (this one says 11-86-P). Also on the baseplate -- either stamped in black ink, or on a sticker. And the transmitter and receiver units should have dates. However, some refurbishers remove some or all of the original dates.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Look at the very top of the dial, below the 2 button. Those are the contact springs that are operated by 2,5,8 and 0. There should be a slate (gray) wire and a white-slate-black wire. Are both wires soldered on there? Perhaps this is the stray wire that is looking for a home.

Those contacts are shown in Figure 8:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/4426-itt-55-032-117-i1-pushbutton-dials-models-32-36

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on October 04, 2016, 07:31:43 PM
Look at the very top of the dial, below the 2 button. Those are the contact springs that are operated by 2,5,8 and 0. There should be a slate (gray) wire and a white-slate-black wire. Are both wires soldered on there? Perhaps this is the stray wire that is looking for a home.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/4426-itt-55-032-117-i1-pushbutton-dials-models-32-36
There is only a slate wire there. Would both wires be soldered together(?) I only see one terminal.
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

poplar1

No, there should be two contacts, each with a separate wire. There would be continuity between the 2 wires only when the 2-5-8 or 0 is pressed, which closes the contacts.

The slate wire is connected closer to the outside rim of the dial. The white-slate-black wire connects to the longer contact.

Left side of dial has 2 sets of contacts, for 1-2-3 and 7-8-9. 3 wires total
Right side has 2 sets of contacts, (4-5-6 and *-0-#) and 3 wires
Bottom has 2 sets of contacts (1-4-7-* and 3-6-9-#) and 3 wires

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on October 05, 2016, 08:37:15 PM
No, there should be two contacts, each with a separate wire. There would be continuity between the 2 wires only when the 2-5-8 or 0 is pressed, which closes the contacts.

The slate wire is connected closer to the outside rim of the dial. The white-slate-black wire connects to the longer contact.

Left side of dial has 2 sets of contacts, for 1-2-3 and 7-8-9. 3 wires total
Right side has 2 sets of contacts, (4-5-6 and *-0-#) and 3 wires
Bottom has 2 sets of contacts (1-4-7-* and 3-6-9-#) and 3 wires
All other sides have 3 wires, the terminal under the 2 only has one wire coming off of it, a slate wire. there isn't a second terminal, unless it is in the contacts in the clear cover next to it?
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

poplar1

Are there two contact springs or one at the top? In other words, is just the wire broken off, or the contact spring as well?

The contacts under the plastic cover are the "common contacts" that operate regardless of which button is pressed. I wasn't talking about those.
Maybe Western Electric had the right idea when they put the clear plastic cover on their dials. ITT didn't bother.

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on October 04, 2016, 07:31:43 PM

\My mystery wire must be the white black and slate wire! It looks like it now that look at it. The other color is slate! It looks like the other terminal broke right off of the contacts! The terminal is on the end of the wire, wire still soldered to it. Is there any way to repair it? Or should I swap the dial with one from a W.E. 2554?

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on October 05, 2016, 09:08:07 PM
Are there two contact springs or one at the top? In other words, is just the wire broken off, or the contact spring as well?

The contacts under the plastic cover are the "common contacts" that operate regardless of which button is pressed. I wasn't talking about those.
Maybe Western Electric had the right idea when they put the clear plastic cover on their dials. ITT didn't bother.
Okay, now I know that those are the common contacts, and I thought someone took the cover off, and was tampering with the dial! ITT was more cheap than W.E., they should of put the cover on them!

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on October 05, 2016, 09:08:07 PM

Am I able to wire up a W.E. dial from a 2554 into this phone? If so, how would I wire it up? Is it the same as the ITT dial?

poplar1

A Western Electric dial such as 35Y3D will connect the same as the ITT 32 OPG.

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on October 06, 2016, 12:02:29 AM
A Western Electric dial such as 35Y3D will connect the same as the ITT 32 OPG.
So, the 2254 has a 35YD dial? And what about the slate/brown switch-hook wire that connects to the dial on the ITT? Would it go on the network, because there is no terminal on the Western Electric dial.

poplar1

Quote from: Holtzer-Cabot on October 06, 2016, 09:35:02 AM
So, the 2254 has a 35YD dial? And what about the slate/brown switch-hook wire that connects to the dial on the ITT? Would it go on the network, because there is no terminal on the Western Electric dial.

You're right. With a WE 35-type dial, the slate/brown switchhook wire connects to C on the network, where the orange-black dial wire also connects. 2554 might have 35A3A, 35Y3A, 35Y3D or 72-type. If you have a 72-type, then it is wired a little bit differently.

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on October 06, 2016, 10:39:49 AM
You're right. With a WE 35-type dial, the slate/brown switchhook wire connects to C on the network, where the orange-black dial wire also connects. 2554 might have 35A3A, 35Y3A, 35Y3D or 72-type. If you have a 72-type, then it is wired a little bit differently.
Okay, I will make sure to check what dial I have in my parts 2554 when I get home!

Holtzer-Cabot

Good news guys! It is working! I swapped out the bad dial for an extra one in my parts W.E. 2554, and it works great!

Holtzer-Cabot

As some of you know, I posted about my ITT 2500 the other day, and I had a problem with the dial not working, so I replaced it with the dial from my W.E. 2554, and it was working great! It rang, dialed out, and could transmit and receive. Well I had it hooked up all night and today I decided to dial our number to get busy signal just for the fun of it, and I picked it up, got dial tone, dialed our number, I heard the tones, but never got a busy signal. I hung up thinking i mis-dialed, got dial tone again, but this time I don't hear any tones! When you push a button, dial tone is broken (interrupted) but no tones are heard and it won't dial out. I opened it up, and under a quick inspection, nothing seems to be obviously wrong. I can't see any loose wires on the network. Any ideas?