News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Celluloid Number Plate Issues and Restoration

Started by TelePlay, August 25, 2015, 08:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

NOTE:  Originally posted in Classifieds as a "149B IV 35 Porcelain Number Plate For Sale" but edited and move to "Telephone Restoration Techniques" with a new title to more appropriately fit the information being provided about these number plates.

==============================

This plate came with a dial. The porcelain is cracked as shown in the photo. The back is light brown, clean and has no markings, scratches, dings, etc - looks NOS.

I've been told this is a early plate but have no good idea of what it is worth, or if anyone may want it, so before putting it on eBay or putting an overlay on it, I am offering it for sale on a Best Offer basis, plus shipping.

The front has been gently cleaned so what you see is what you get - the circular cracks and discoloration. The numbers and letters are in very good condition and other than the cracks, no other scratches, chips or marks.

If interested, send a PM to me.

Thanks for looking.

unbeldi

The top layer on the 149 was actually cellulose acetate, the first first closed vitreous enamel plate was the 150 and they came out ca. 1937/8.  I wouldn't call this early, I think I have observed a few 1934-dated plates.

The crazing is from stress that developed in the plastic layer, which often resulted in peeling off from the metal.

TelePlay

Spoken for - gone!

HarrySmith

Can we ask? What was the offer? Just curious.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 29, 2015, 09:36:20 PM
Can we ask? What was the offer? Just curious.

Swapped for a newer, porcelain plate even up so, what, $15 to $20 or so.

EDIT:  For a comparison, I just found the same plate for sale on eBay starting at $40 with free shipping but this celluloid is in great condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTERN-ELECTRIC-149B-CELLULOID-NUMBER-PLATE-IV-35-TELEPHONE-PART-/141760201434

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on August 25, 2015, 09:07:03 AM
The top layer on the 149 was actually cellulose acetate, the first vitreous enamel plate was the 150 and they came out ca. 1937/8.  I wouldn't call this early, I think I have observed a few 1934-dated plates.

The crazing is from stress that developed in the plastic layer, which often resulted in peeling off from the metal.

What were the 1920-1933 132-type plates if not vitreous enamel?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Ktownphoneco

CELLULOID NUMBER PLATES :     This is information purposes only.
"Badly" damaged celluloid number plates can be repaired if one so chooses.      I don't consider "yellowing" to be damage, but when the celluloid coating starts peeling off in chunks, that's damage.
The pictures below show just such a celluloid number plate     The dial and number plate belong to "Autonut", and the pictures are posted here with his permission.     
I removed the remainder of the remaining celluloid covering by using a heat gun.    One thing to note;   a certain amount of the numbering / lettering paint or ink, with come off with the celluloid, regardless of whether or not it's as a result of natural peeling, or cleaning off the remaining material with a heat gun.     
The photos show the plate after all the celluloid has been removed.    I then sprayed the the number plate with 2 coats of clear lacquer.     Once dry, it looks and feels very much like celluloid as indicated by the comparison picture.     How the lacquer will stand up to finger nail scratching, is unknown at this point.       Normally I only put celluloid number plates on antique sets that aren't normally used, relying on porcelain number plates for working antique sets.

Jeff Lamb

That dial and plate came from this phone. Thanks Jeff for all your hard work.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14673.0