News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pink Soft Plastic Paint Removal--Should I Try It?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 09, 2015, 11:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Last year, I bought a 1958 Pink 500 at a flea market. It's dates-matching '58 except for the cords. I found it coated with really horrible--albeit color matching--paint. My guess it someone at the refurb shop used -59 paint and slathered it on the plastics with a brush, no joke!! To make matters worse, the paint is starting to fade to white! It doesn't seem to be the tough stuff; it comes off with my fingernail. At the time, I had a whole bunch of other projects I was working on, so I just cleaned the phone, made sure it worked, and displayed it.

So, now I have a pale pink phone with a caked-on, scratching-off texture, bleached-white cords, and an ugly, makeshift excuse for a line cord. You can probably tell that I'm getting sick of looking at it by now! ;D :o

My question is, should I try Easy Off to remove the paint? I use Easy Off a lot on phone paint, but has anyone had bad experience with it on Pink Tenite (fading, color distortion, etc)? I'm also hopeful that this paint actually comes off with Easy Off. I assume that there was a reason for it being painted, so I'm expecting the worst for the plastic underneath.

I'm going to start re-restoring its older twin tonight, so I thought it would be better to work on them both at the same time.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE40FAN