News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is there any way to get a high gloss shine w/o a buffer???

Started by Karen, February 26, 2012, 08:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

Ive tried everything it feels like and my black surfaces are still kind of matte and dull.  Ive tried brasso, novus, superfine steel wool followed by bath oil, shoe shine.....

I have a plastic body lucy phone and I really want to get a shine on here. I dont care how.  Is there any trick that doesnt involve me going and buying a buffer?  (its on the list of things I want/need but I just havent gotten it yet).

And because I know you'll jump at the idea of some of those more abrasive tricks, rest assured they were mostly bakelite and not the softer plastic.

Phonesrfun

The method of shining and getting rid of scratches on a soft plastic shell depends largely on the nature of the scratches.  Soft plastic shells can also melt at the point of contact with a motor driven buffing pad. I would not try a buffer unless I was very experienced.  I know, because I have tried with little luck.

Frankly, I have given up on the idea of polishing any soft plastic phone for an original looking shine.

-Bill G

AE_Collector

Personally I don't think that soft plastic EVER had a shine like hard ABS plastic does.

Terry

Karen

I just wish SOMETHING would help it.  A wax or something...

bingster

I'd try putting a coat of paste car wax on it.  I've used cabinet wax on phones, too, and even that works well.
= DARRIN =

DavePEI

Quote from: gymcrackery on February 27, 2012, 01:27:46 AM
I just wish SOMETHING would help it.  A wax or something...

Raid your wife's cosmetics, and find a bottle of clear Avon Skin so Soft. Apply it to the phone, leave it on it for a couple of days, them wipe off. You will be amazed by how much it will shine it up. You will have to repeat the application ever once in a while.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Karen

Dave, I wish Avon made that skin-so-soft in a less perfumey smell.  Im a woman myself, but it seems  little overpowering after a few coats.  Ill agree that it does do well on bakelite tho. 

And so far Ive concluded that car wax works about the best on the softer plastics.  Guess I will stick with those options!

Thanks all

DavePEI

Quote from: gymcrackery on February 28, 2012, 12:01:10 AM
Dave, I wish Avon made that skin-so-soft in a less perfumey smell.  Im a woman myself, but it seems  little overpowering after a few coats.  Ill agree that it does do well on bakelite tho.  
To me, is smells more like Insect Repellent. If that is perfumey, the world doesn't need pussycats of the striped kind :)

However it does a great job shining things up. What I find it best on is a final coat after buffing on bakelite, but it does do a great job on plastics, too.

I will agree with you on its much too strong smell.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

MDK

I've had good luck with Meguiar's Plastx. It's designed to polish plastic car headlights, but they have neglected to list telephones on the label. Walmart stocks it here in the automotive department.

twocvbloke

Quote from: MDK on February 28, 2012, 08:10:28 AMbut they have neglected to list telephones on the label.

We should write to them and complain about their negligence!!! :D

MDK

Good idea. I have already written to Walmart's management in regard to the lack of vintage telephone restoration and maintenance supplies.

Bill

I'm not sure that your reluctance to get a polisher is well-placed. WalMart has a 6" polisher for $25. Black and Decker has one with an MSRP of about $31, but commonly available for about $20. Harbor Freight often has one for about the same price, though their latest flyer does not show it. All include a mitt of some kind.

These are automotive polishers, but work well for phones. They are much more portable and  maneuverable than a bench grinder fitted with a polishing wheel. Considering the good they can do you, they might be worth a second look.

Just my thought.

Bill

Karen

Quote from: Bill on February 28, 2012, 05:51:43 PM

These are automotive polishers, but work well for phones. They are much more portable and  maneuverable than a bench grinder fitted with a polishing wheel. Considering the good they can do you, they might be worth a second look.

Just my thought.

Bill

I think its more because I keep hearing people talk about inadvertantly melting their phones.  I dont really know HOW to polish them that way.  What to use (novus?), which kinds of plastics are ok.  I havent really found a youtube on it yet.  And thats basically the only way Ive learned anything so far.  Id hate to melt my phone!

twocvbloke

Good job I never tried my Kirby Handi-Butler polishing kit for shining up the red WE500, it'd have been in need of a new case if I had.... :o

Dennis Markham

The hand-held polisher I use is a Ryoibi.  It doesn't spin fast enough to melt the plastic.  But a buffing wheel on a bench grinder certainly will.  It is good for buffing Bakelite.  But I've found hand polishing with Novus 2 and using the Ryobi with a terry cloth cover on the pad works for just about everything.

Getting some heat from the friction of the pad, in conjunction with the polish is really the key to removing old yellow dirt and grime from Bakelite.  I've found doing it by hand is even better than the Ryobi.  It take more than a few minutes to get a desired shine.