News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

11-60 Princess dial problem

Started by Dewdrop, February 13, 2011, 03:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewdrop

Had this beige Princess phone just over a year.

Problem: dial will not turn and return properly, basically it will NOT return at all on its own, but will if I keep my finger in to return it, very stiff (maybe there's a different term for that).

From the pictures posted, can anyone advise me what to try to free up the dial or where to research to solve the problem?

Just saw two Bald Eagles flying very high above our house.

THANKS
Debbie
Debbie

Phonesrfun

The best solution is to send it to Steve Hilsz in Arizona, who does excellent dial repairs for the outrageous price of $6.00

You could try putting a tiny drop of oil on the contact points where all the gear shafts rotate in the brass housing.  Never oil the barrel-shaped governor, and don't try spraying it with WD-40.  The kind of oil to use is a light machine oil, such as 3-in 1 or sewing machine oil.

Other than that, a disassembly, cleaning and lubing are in order, but not something that a person who has not done it before wants to tackle, unless you have a trial phone to try it out on first.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 13, 2011, 04:17:07 PM
The best solution is to send it to Steve Hilsz in Arizona, who does excellent dial repairs for the outrageous price of $6.00

You could try putting a tiny drop of oil on the contact points where all the gear shafts rotate in the brass housing.  Never oil the barrel-shaped governor, and don't try spraying it with WD-40.  The kind of oil to use is a light machine oil, such as 3-in 1 or sewing machine oil.

Other than that, a disassembly, cleaning and lubing are in order, but not something that a person who has not done it before wants to tackle, unless you have a trial phone to try it out on first.

I agree with Bill...before deciding to send it to Steve, put some oil on the gears and contact points. It will purr like a kitten....Doug
Kidphone

Dewdrop

Thank you Bill and Doug,

That's good advice for me "not to do a disassembly", because where is a diagram that shows or points to the area to put the drop of oil?

This is totally a FIRST for me, but maybe next time I won't have to bother you guys.

THANKS
Debbie
Debbie

paul-f

Oiling certainly may help.  If it doesn't, try giving the back a shot or two of degreaser or contact cleaner, rotate the dial fully a few dozen times to let the dirt work its way out, then re-oiling.  Years of accumulated gunk may need to be removed before it will work smoothly.

Make sure to use a degreaser that is safe for use on plastics (and won't dissolve them).

I believe this was covered in more detail in other threads.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

jsowers

Debbie, if you look at the last picture you posted, at the bottom there is a silver gear with a white plastic piece attached to it. It's the part that makes the pulses happen when you dial. That's where I had the problem with my 1960 Princess. I second what Paul said about contact cleaner. It works wonders, but be sure it's safe for plastics.

That white plastic piece seems to bind a lot. At least that was what finally cured mine. I had to work it back and forth a lot before it began to free up and dial normally. If you have any sewing machine oil, that should work OK on the gears. Be sure to get a Q-tip and clean off the excess. You may also want to take the fingerwheel and dial ring off, so you don't get them oily. Just use small amounts and it should eventually work with some back and forth dialing.
Jonathan

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dewdrop on February 13, 2011, 05:02:37 PM
This is totally a FIRST for me, but maybe next time I won't have to bother you guys.

THANKS
Debbie

Debbie: If you can do great Photoshop work, you can fix that dial. I am rooting for you girl !!!
Jorge

Dewdrop

I called the local Radio Shack for contact cleaner without the lubricating stuff. They have: TV-Tuner/Control Cleaner & Lubricant.

Do automotive businesses like AutoZone or O'Reilly's stock any product I could use to degrease or clean the dial? Just searched on O'Reilly's site and found this:

Berryman Electronic Cleaner
Ideal for cleaning and degreasing printed circuits switches relays rheostats contact points and diagnostic test equipment. Removes lint oil and dust from tape heads tuners VCR's and other electronic equipment.
    * UPC: 75894022063
    * 4.5oz
$3.49 Each

ALSO
Gunk - Electric Cleaner 20 oz. $5.49 Each
Gunk Electronic Cleaner cleans sensitive electronic components by penetrating in hard to reach areas. Safely dissolves dirt, dust, grease, flux and other contaminants and dries quickly. Harmless to most plastics and paper tapes.
Features

Cleans sensitive electronic components, Penetrates hard to reach places, Safely dissolves dirt, dust, grease, flux and other contaminants, Dries quickly, This item is not for sale in Catalina Island

What about this stuff? If you think it will work I can call them tomorrow to see if it's IN STOCK.

thanks again for all your help and support

It would be cool if I can handle this problem on my own (own two hands), but with you guys' brains.

Debbie

Debbie

HarrySmith

It sounds like any of those cleaners from the parts store will be fine. I use a non clorinated brake cleaner and canned air for dusting keyboards to blow it dry after.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dewdrop

It's returning smoothly, but not all the way. Still needs a little help. When dialing the "0" it returns slowly and stops around the "8" or "9". I'm going to try a little bit more 3 in 1 oil and work the dial back and forth.

How that's sound - adding a little bit more oil?

My pointer finger has an indent now.

Debbie
Debbie

paul-f

If it's still sticking, that probably indicates you haven't got all the gunk out yet.

The gunk is occupying the space between the moving parts that should be filled with a thin film of oil.  Putting more oil in won't help unless there's space for it.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dewdrop

Well, I'm heading outside to spray the cleaner on the dial.

Debbie
Debbie

Dewdrop

IT'S WORKING !!!

Thanks to all that commented, gave encouragement, and advice.

Debbie
Debbie