News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Enough to make a grown man CRY like a BABY :-( AKA Ray's Colored AE Find!

Started by kleenax, October 24, 2011, 02:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleenax

Found this "hoard" some time ago, but wanted to share.

Anyone EVER seen a RED AE35????  I hadn't until now!

Found all of these in 2 wooden crates in an OLD Pullman (yes, Railroad) car. This car was sooo old that it was made entirely out of wood! Frame and everything! And yes, the roof was coming in, etc.  What a shame; these would have looked grand in their day. Most are beyond repair from shrinkage and weathering. I did salvage a few of them though.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

teka-bb

Hi Ray,

Great find. The phones you make look better :)

Hopefully you will be able to save some of these.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Dennis Markham

kleenax

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 24, 2011, 08:57:38 PM
Ray, did you see this one that recently sold on eBay?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5483.15

Hey Dennis;

Yes, I did see that. I think that was the 2nd time that he had listed it for some reason. Looks like it went for just about the right price.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

Wow Ray...how do you find this stuff! I wish my train would come in one day. Nice Haul! Did you get everything?

I know that they look pretty beat but those are all going to look decent once you get finished with them aren't they? Maybe not suitable for a few of the colored AE collections that we have at least seen pictures of but decent none the less.

My colored AE collection consists of a Red and an Ivory 40. The Red 40 is badly shrunk and the Ivory 40 has alligator skin all down the back.

I have one of Steve Hilsz Beige 50 Ships phones that is just discolored so not a total write off.

The best one of them all is my Ray Kotke Clear 40 but of course as you know, in your eye's (not mine) it is a reject as well.

SO...if there are any of those you have there that are likely to be in my "basket cases only" price range, let me know.

Oh and finally, if any of the coding is visible on any of them I would like to add the details to my AE Codes Survey.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5514.msg67058#msg67058

Terry

JorgeAmely

Jorge

kleenax

Quote from: AE_collector on October 24, 2011, 10:08:07 PM
Wow Ray...how do you find this stuff! I wish my train would come in one day. Nice Haul! Did you get everything?

I know that they look pretty beat but those are all going to look decent once you get finished with them aren't they? Maybe not suitable for a few of the colored AE collections that we have at least seen pictures of but decent none the less.

My colored AE collection consists of a Red and an Ivory 40. The Red 40 is badly shrunk and the Ivory 40 has alligator skin all down the back.

I have one of Steve Hilsz Beige 50 Ships phones that is just discolored so not a total write off.

The best one of them all is my Ray Kotke Clear 40 but of course as you know, in your eye's (not mine) it is a reject as well.

SO...if there are any of those you have there that are likely to be in my "basket cases only" price range, let me know.

Oh and finally, if any of the coding is visible on any of them I would like to add the details to my AE Codes Survey.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5514.msg67058#msg67058

Terry

Thanks Terry.  I will look at them for some coding.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

GG

Ray, be careful, many hazards in abandoned rail cars; a friend of mine busted a meth lab that was concealed in one. 

Interesting haul you found there.  Probably worth preserving as far as possible despite the damage; somewhere someone could make use of some of those as part of an exhibit or something.   Or possibly as fodder for your research process in some way. 

One has to wonder how many more of those kinds of finds are out there, preferably in salvageable condition. 

kleenax

Quote from: teka-bb on October 24, 2011, 03:13:28 PM

Hi Ray,

Great find. The phones you make look better :)

Hopefully you will be able to save some of these.

Thanks Remco!

Here are photos (before and after) of the first 2 of the "hoard" that I have been able to restore. I think that they turned out really nice!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

Oops!

Posted the wrong Jade Green! Here is the 1A before photo.....
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Wallphone

Great job Ray! Unfortunately I never seem to be at the telephone shows when you put on your Buffing Clinics. How many RPM's is your buffing motor?
Did someone say Meth Lab? Sorry, I just found this picture in my files yesterday and had to use it.
Doug Pav

GG

Holy cow, Paul, those restorations are nothing short of amazing.  Do you have the line keys working on the 2-line set?  And which version is that?   (I'm going to guess it's:  Left key = "line 1 / line 2", and right key = "hold on/off for both lines at once.")

kleenax

Well, I don't know who Paul is, but I posted the phone photos ;-) 
The phones are simply for display, and haven't been wired back up to work, but I have no doubt that they would. I do still have the original 11-conductor (matching color) cloth linecord too! The model is AE-31B I do believe. At least that is what is shown in my original AE catalog.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

ESalter

Those look absolutely amazing Ray!!!  I can't believe you were able to bring that much of a luster back to them.