News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally got some shelves up.

Started by Dan/Panther, April 22, 2009, 03:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I finally got up the gumption to put up some shelves.
It sure frees up floor space.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

contraste

That corner of your room looks like it could be a very interesting and fun place to visit.

I really like your collection of 500's, are they all early fifties models?

I mounted a 50 inch plasma TV to my wall a year or so back. I couldn't sleep the first night, expecting an almighty (and very expensive) crash to come at any time. However, I think your phones are much more valuable so I hope you screwed those shelves very securely to the wall ;)

McHeath

That looks great!  The colors on the phone really draw the eye, and those are some nice looking 500s.  I just bought a pink 500 myself, my first one, and am looking forward to it's arrival. 

Dennis Markham

Looks good Dan!  I hope you planned for future expansion.  There are more colors to get!

Tonyrotary

Dan/Panther

That is alwaysa my greatest fear that the shelves will not hold. I try always to mount to studs, and if not will use Molley bolts. If as molley bolt pulls out, a big chunk of wall comes with it.
I plan to put up shelves all around the room a various heigths, and make it so I can alternate arera between different things I collect. Phones, Radios, Trains, and small personal items from my younger years.
Make it so it's not the same all the time.
5 of the phones are 50's the other 3 are from the 60's.
Guess which are which, and I will see if my disguises worked.
I still have 4 other colors I haven't cleaned up yet for display.
Plus i have non W.E. phones and non 500's yet to put up. This hobby grows rapidly.....almost like raising mice or rabbitts. I also have a rapidly growing collection of fromer displays that got replaced.

Dennis;
You mean there's more.... :o

Dan

I had 47 phones on three  large, long shelves in the basement. I was organizing them, putting the 500's on top, the 302's in their  own spot. Walked away, and it sounded  like a "bell ringing bomb" went off! My middle son ran back, with a s#it faced grin on his face, and I said "shut up! , get out of here. For the next hour, I took phones out of the pile. The top had fell which started the second and third ones to collapse.

Incredibly, only one damaged phone, AN AE90 wall phone, which I had a duplicate of (chipped housing, which was superglued back on). Lucky, I guess. I went out and bought these 3 inch metal molly bolts. Then I distributed the weight more evenly, with trimlines sharing space next to heavy AE40's and We500's. No collapses since, but i really was sick to my stomach for a while!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

Wow, I was just thinking shelves today, realizing I'm out of room for phones myself!  Too bad shelves don't happen when your house is on the market!
- Tom

McHeath

Quote5 of the phones are 50's the other 3 are from the 60's.
Guess which are which, and I will see if my disguises worked.

The pink, green and red one are from the 60s.  (I think) 

Dan/Panther

I didn't feel good about the way the shelves were put up, so I took them down and went and bought good hardware to make sure the sheves were solid. I then adfded a shelf, and added more phones. Notice the progression on the top shelf.
D/P

HobieSport

Very nice and inspirational D/P, to say the least.  The top shelf progression is a sight to behold indeed, but then, the whole collection looks great.  Is that a pinball machine on the right hand edge?  Love the poster of your dog, too. :)

contraste

Nice new shelves (sorry if I worried you about how they were fixed to the wall) and a truly inspiring collection of phones.

I really like the gray 500. I think I'll keep an eye on ebay for one of those.

Dan/Panther

AET

Now if only I had mor ethan three different colors of phone.  You keep me a dreamer D/P
- Tom