News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Here's me bragging...

Started by bingster, May 06, 2009, 07:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

...but only because I don't get to very often. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290315434686 ( dead link 04-13-21 )

The handset is going to require a miracle to get some shine, but all in all not a bad deal, I think.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, you lucky dog!  You must have been in the right place at the right time.  I just paid over $80 for one and it arrived incomplete...no terminal strip inside and missing the mushroom cap.  The price you paid is the best price I've ever seen for a 500 U or P/U.  Put an open center finger wheel on there and you're in business.  That is the deal of the year if not the decade.  Nice job.  (You're lucky I didn't see it first!) :)

benhutcherson

Bingster,

Congratulations, that sure one heck of a deal.

Here's a thread I posted a while back which may help you with getting a shine back on the handset. Since posting, I've used it on several other handsets that I thought were beyond hope, and they all cleaned up very nicely

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=842.msg10138#msg10138

AET

Congrats! That's a heck of a find!  Definitely a steal of a deal!  I'm green with envy!
- Tom

bingster

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 06, 2009, 07:43:20 PMYou must have been in the right place at the right time. 
I was.  The seller had just put it up as a BIN auction, and as a thirty day listing!  I saw it after it had been listed for about three hours. 

Quote from: benhutcherson on May 06, 2009, 07:51:59 PMHere's a thread I posted a while back which may help you with getting a shine back on the handset.
I'll definitely have to get some simichrome, then.  A phone like this deserves a little extra work.

Oh... This time I remembered to give the seller helpful packing hints.  I'm still really worried, though. 
= DARRIN =

Dan

Great deal on a mushroom! What's the difference between a "U" and a "P/U" ?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

I'd be worried too...about shipping.  Three hours is an eternity with a phone and price like that.  Excellent snag.  I've heard stories from a buddy of mine where he came home late...like 3:00AM and checked eBay to find the latest listings.  He said he got more than one from a west coast seller putting it on as a Buy It Now at some price that was way too low.  I believe he told about an Oxford gray listed as Green with a cheap Buy It Now.  Let's keep our fingers crossed that the seller ships it properly.

HobieSport

Quote from: bingster
This time I remembered to give the seller helpful packing hints.

Goody!
http://www.paul-f.com/SaveThePhones/

Hmm. Bing your phone is just one month off my birthday. I'm sure you won't be wanting to keep it, what with that unsightly little lump on it... ;)

Congrats on a great deal. I offer prayers to the shipping gods.

BDM

Yup, bragging rights you have. Nice snag 8)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Snag of the month there, most impressive!  Maybe we should have a section to record our members major great deals like this, so the rest of us can weep and envy.   :)

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
Maybe we should have a section to record our members major great deals like this, so the rest of us can weep and envy.   :)

Cool idea, Heath.  I started a new thread for that here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1011.msg12284#msg12284

bingster

Quote from: Dan on May 06, 2009, 08:33:35 PM
Great deal on a mushroom! What's the difference between a "U" and a "P/U" ?

I just looked it up on Paul Fassbender's site, and it says the "P" had no key switch, and had it's light go on only when the handset was lifted.  The "U" had a key that allowed the light to light at a low level while on-hook, and light bright while off-hook (like a Princess). 
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I have one that is marked both, 500 P/U.  It has the key.

bingster

I wonder if they discontinued the separate P and U for economy's sake and replaced it with a combined P/U?  Or maybe they went with P/U just because it's funny to say.
= DARRIN =

Dan

one thing about those P-U phones, they don't stink ::)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright