News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new Western Electric wood wall phone

Started by Russ Kirk, August 22, 2012, 05:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I"m not so sure how reliable the "w"on a transmitter is as an indicator of an independent phone company.  I've seen them on apparently barn fresh phones that have Bell System markings.  I think that the situation with the various Bell companies at the time is very diverse, with the varying degrees of ownership, franchise arrangements etc. had something to do with it.  The transmitter cup is the most obvious place to look for Bell markings.  I think this is from an independent, based upon the use of the OST receiver, which seems out of date.  It is an early example of this model, however, so who knows for sure.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 22, 2012, 07:04:38 PM
Holy Cow, batman.  What a find!  Probably the early type with the wiring set in grooves in the wood backboard as opposed to having a wiring harness.

The phone does has the grooves in the back,  but the wires and wax are missing.  I don't see a harness inside.  From the stamps on the door and on the back i see it was changed from a 317 R to a 317 S.  Time to start researching what that means. Maybe that is when the rear wiring was removed (or it was never installed).

I tend to keep most of my phones in the condition found,  but I am contemplating a restoration. If I do decide to restore re-nickel (Hallworth method) and re-paint the black items are a given,  but I am still not sure about the wood,  should I strip and re-finish?  Or just give it good cleaning?     

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Sargeguy

Once you get the parts re-nickled, the rest of the phone might look shabby by comparison. 

Does the transmitter arm have any of the original gilt pin-striping left?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dennisjnunes

Well if every one is going to give there opinion here comes mine.
Before I would do anything I would give it a good cleaning with Murphy's soap for wood, nothing else, let it dry real good and then take another look, a good look because once you start to re finish It's gone forever!, it's new to you , live with it for a little while, I know in the furniture world they like that stuff called patina,rust,dirt, as I have gotten older I realize I earned my patina and I'm keeping it,  Dennis.