News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

screen replacement type 40 and 50

Started by recrum, November 25, 2011, 02:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recrum

Have a type 50 that's missing all the screens at the vents, was wondering what others have used and where purchased.  And also what did you use to reattach it, ie glue stick?

Phonesrfun

Quote from: recrum on November 25, 2011, 02:30:48 PM
Have a type 50 that's missing all the screens at the vents, was wondering what others have used and where purchased.  And also what did you use to reattach it, ie glue stick?

I bought about a yard of mesh fabric at Joann Fabric that is extremely close.  If you can't find it, I can send you enough for a phone.  Not exact, mind you, but extremely close.
-Bill G

recrum

Thank you for the tip.  That sounds like it will work perfectly.  What type of adhesive did you use to reattach it?

Phonesrfun

To tell you the truth, I haven't done the repair yet.  I was thinking of using something like mucilage because I think it is similar to the original.

Other than that, maybe some other adhesive that would not mar or destroy the bakelite.  For instance, rubber cement.

-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 25, 2011, 10:16:50 PM
Quote from: recrum on November 25, 2011, 02:30:48 PM

I bought about a yard of mesh fabric at Joann Fabric that is extremely close.  If you can't find it, I can send you enough for a phone.  Not exact, mind you, but extremely close.

You can also get a very similar fabric from any upholsterer or upholstery supply shop. It is the mesh fabric made for going on the bottom of upholstered chairs and is virtually identical.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Wallphone

I did a test with an Elmer's Glue Stick and it worked great. Easy to apply with no mess and the glue is invisible when dry. The glue comes in an applicator that looks like a large Chap-Stick.
Doug Pav

recrum

Thanks Doug.  I wasn't sure at all about how I was going to glue it on, didn't know if a plain old glue stick would work.

Wallphone

You are welcome, Try it, you might like it. It says that it is washable so just don't leave your phone out in the rain.  ;D Like I said it is easy to use. Glue and me never got along. I don't remember ever making a model car where I didn't get glue on the windshield.
Doug Pav

AE_Collector

Quote from: Wallphone on November 26, 2011, 10:46:22 AM
I don't remember ever making a model car where I didn't get glue on the windshield.
Doug Pav

Model cars had REAL GLASS Windshields when you were a youngster didn't they Doug?  >:(

Terry

GG

For those of us who might be tempted to be lazy about this, think of it as a way to prevent your phone from becoming a spider's nest.  You don't want to pick up your phone some day to move it across the table, only to have a big scary spider crawl out, causing you to drop the phone on the ground. 

I take it the method with the glue stick is to apply the glue to the inside of the housing first, and then gently but firmly press the fabric into place? 

Presumably the same glue also works for 302 baseplates, Kellogg 1000s, and the like?