News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 182: WE Red 302 with Dial Blank and Matching Cloth Cords - Ended 8/17/15

Started by TelePlay, August 13, 2015, 07:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on August 17, 2015, 01:44:27 PM
$450.00, please?

Sorry, so added. I don't know how I missed your first post. Humph? Anyway, now so posted, and good luck . . .

19and41

Probably the same way I made the duplicate guess in the last contest.  It was just hiding while I was looking.   ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

And the winner of Auction Contest #182 is compubit who with the 4th entry into the contest offered the winning guess of $380.00 giving him his very first auction contest win. So, a big congratulations go out to compubit for getting his first win in the CRPF Auction Contests and taking a place on the Contest Standings board.

Only place to go but up and validation of twocvbloke's adage, you have to play to win.

The phone was won by 5***9 ( 1263 ) with his one and only bid placed 4 seconds before the auction ended to take the phone home for $363.16. The auction saw 9 buyers placing 25 bids.

Check out the updated Contest Standings to see who's who through 182 contests and the latest additions to the CRPF Hall of Fame

Thanks again to all who played. As always, there is only one way to get on the winner's board or move up a rung - you have to play to win.

compubit

Woohoo!

Finally won one ;-)

It's fun to play "guess the auction price" - no telling where the price will go...  This week it went for $363.16 - next week it could go $200 or $800 - one never knows!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Doug Rose

This is one amazing phone, which in my opinion went very reasonable. The winner rarely loses an auction and I wonder if some decided not to bid against him. He must have an amazing collection....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 21, 2015, 08:30:30 AM
This is one amazing phone, which in my opinion went very reasonable. The winner rarely loses an auction and I wonder if some decided not to bid against him.

I would not think that for the winner placed his one and only bid 4 seconds before the auction ended and it must have been a lot higher than $363.16 because another first and only bidder went in with $358.16 3 seconds before the auction ended, a bid which topped another first and only bidder who offered $334.55 6 seconds before the auction ended which topped still another first and only bidder who went in with $301.25 8 seconds before the auction ended.

So, no one knew who or how many final second bidders would enter the auction. It a dicey event. Sometimes only one snipe, sometimes 4 or more, as in this auction.

Seems the final price was set by the bidder who came in second and was bested by the winner with the minimum mark up. It's a question that I always have in most of these contest auctions, just how much was or how high did the winning bidder go to take the phone home. Had the person who came in second offered $100 or $200 more, who would have won - that's the question?

Doug Rose

Agreed....I should have taken the time to see he was just the last bidder....my bad. He does have a history...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I can't get this one out of my head, it went way too low. Pictures make it look brand new. A nickel retainer ring and you have a classic. If this auction around X-mas, it would have gone over $1000. I know color 302s are on eBay weekly, but when was the last time you saw a manual set in this fine condition? Usually the dial blank will bend out of shape on the top and the bottom. I didn't have enough in my buying bank to consider a run at it and I am sure Dean would have topped any bid.....still, I am bummed!  :'(....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

The last –20 manual 302 only fetched in the $400 range, $440 or so, IIRC. They just don't sell any better than the dial instruments, and we had the same discussion here.

PS: here is the link:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13421.msg140464#msg140464
It was $480

PS: surely was a nice set.