1987 Citesa "Heraldo"
Regards,
-Grayson

monophone_lover

Here are a few red phones
Rob
ATCA # 4057

JorgeAmely

Can't believe it was ten years ago I last posted on this thread. Let's keep this one alive. There are plenty of good looking red phones out there.
Jorge

KaiserFrazer67

Well, I've got a "new" red phone with which I can keep this thread alive:

I haven't seen any red Automatic Electric Type 90s on here (unless one of the older pages on this thread had one where the photo links died), so I'm submitting my newest acquisition.

This is actually a recent eBay find with different plastic.  Around three years ago, I happened to purchase some very good NOS Garnet Red AE 90 plastic, complete with handset and caps, dial face plate, and long coiled handset cord, from an eBay seller in (of all places) Saukville, Wisconsin.  I have not been able to re-trace this seller or find out whatever happened to her (IIRC, the seller was female).  She had a whole mess of NOS and good-condition Automatic Electric plastic and other AE parts.  At about the same time, I had also bought from her the NOS white plastic parts with which I "re-skinned" our badly faded Gardenia White AE90 kitchen phone shown here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17876.msg184605#msg184605  Perhaps some of you know who this seller was.  I would have liked to have purchased more AE stuff from her while she still had it.

In any event, after getting this really nice complete Garnet Red AE90 "kit"; all it needed was an actual phone.  Well, a good working AE90 with a straight-line ringer made itself available on eBay a couple of weeks ago.  It is dated 1961 and has the compensator rheostat inside.  The chassis was marked for Camellia Pink (code 18), but it had either ivory or VERY badly faded white plastic; about the same kind of fading as the original white plastic had on my original kitchen AE90.  I did decide to switch out the dial rather than clean and restore it, as it had an SATT dial and I am not a fan of them (and furthermore, I was anxious to find out if the thing actually worked!).  I "borrowed" a dial from one of my beige AE80s (the not-quite-as-nice one pictured here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17876.msg184650#msg184650 ), and installed it in this phone.  After hooking up a black test lead (pictured sticking out of the right side), I found it works perfectly on my good ol' POTS line as it should.  Calls out, receives calls, and rings just fine.  Now all I have to do is find a place to put it...   ;D

Enjoy!!
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser

I've added this clear Ruby Red AE80 to my collection.

KaiserFrazer67

Quote from: Duffy on July 15, 2020, 05:19:56 AM
I've added this clear Ruby Red AE80 to my collection.
Where did you manage to find the clear red plastic (and the clear handset, for that matter)?  Or did the phone come with it?  I see that it has the later GTE-era AE branding on the carrying handle.
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser

Quote from: KaiserFrazer67 on July 15, 2020, 09:33:00 AM
Where did you manage to find the clear red plastic (and the clear handset, for that matter)?  Or did the phone come with it?  I see that it has the later GTE-era AE branding on the carrying handle.

It's all in here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24034.0

Dan/Panther

Quote from: JorgeAmely on May 16, 2020, 01:07:51 AM
Can't believe it was ten years ago I last posted on this thread. Let's keep this one alive. There are plenty of good looking red phones out there.
That's what I love about this forum, people look back at old posts.
I love red phones, I don't know how I missed Duffy's post. That's RED. I would love to have a 500 like that.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Key2871

I agree Dan, that's a sweet looking phone. But to have a 500 set in that color, even if the had set were red like that or clear, that would be real nice.
Hey Ray, how bout something like that!
KEN

Dan/Panther

Absolutely, Ray Where are you.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

I have one of Ray's clear AE handsets. Here it is compared with the real clear AE handset. Ray's copy is the lower one.

kleenax

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 17, 2020, 03:43:38 PM
Absolutely, Ray Where are you.
D/P
I'm here!  Sorry, up here where I am sheltering (since March 17th), there is VERY little internet other than a hotspot on cellphone and it doesn't do well.
I will be working on completing the Clear AE handset and a Clear AE80 & 90 body. Just can't do a number ring (yet).
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

allnumbedup

Obviously I am way behind on my phone 'to-do' list.  I know the Valentine's date stamp has been well described before:
http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/valentines-day-western-electric-model-554/

My Valentine's Phone is the 1956 500 with the Oxford Grey cords in the middle.  This phone was a lucky ebay BIN without inside pictures.  This 500 and the 554 with the matt silver hook next to it in the back are the keepers for my collection. Both are all date matching. Three of the others are ABS on old bases, one of the soft ones was from a forum member and had a smashed side in shipping now repaired.  All these were on-line purchases $0 (insured smashed one) to $38 while I was learning how to spot an old soft plastic one.  The keepers were $65 for the 554 and $76 for the Valentine's phone including shipping: the others I plan to restore to fund my habit when all parts and time align.
Analog Phones for a Digital World