"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 and D1 at yard sale

Started by Gary, August 22, 2011, 08:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_phone_man

Good point. 

Western Electric never let anything go to waste and this is one of the later manufactured cases evidenced by the patent date stampings on the back. 

We may never really know, unless there is some faint impression or outline of the old external finger stop. 

Gary

Got around to the "mildewy" 500 I picked up for almost nothing and is my first 500.  It cleaned up well and has mostly matching dates. Only the receiver is newer and for some reason I can't find any date marking inside the housing.  The cord was filthy but cleaned up like new.  I have a 5302 I got last year that this 500 looks good next to.

Housing      n/a
Base      10/59
Ringer C4A   IV 59
Network 425B   10/59
Dial 7D-3      10/59
Handset G1   
Transmitter T1   10-16-59
Receiver U3   5-5-69

Adam

Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Gary

Thanks...I'm finding out these telephones can be quite addictive (as I'm sure anyone who posts here knows)!

HarrySmith

Nice job on the cleanup, looks great!
Almost all matching dates too, very nice. Someone here may have an element from Oct 59 to complete it. I will dig out my box of elements this weekend to check for that date.
I believe you were warned about "phoneitis" when you joined ;D
These things multiply quickly!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Gary

Thanks Harry!  Yes, definitely the potential for these things to multiply like "Star Trek Tribbles".

Sargeguy

I hadn't noticed the RI phone #.  What's on the other side of that card?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Gary

It's only a piece of paper cut in a circle.  Had no luck there on finding a vintage card.