News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this what I think it is - Rose Beige 554?

Started by persido, September 15, 2015, 12:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

I don't have many 554's in my collection, but when I came across this 554 I thought it may be some thing special.  I think it is a rose beige with a gray cord, and the phone has matching dates on all parts (12/55).  What do you guys think am I right, is it a rose beige?

Thanks......Scot

WEBellSystemChristian

Woah, you got something good!!!

Definitely a Rose Beige! I'm incredibly jealous! Nice find!!!

Where did you find it? How much???
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

Yes, Scot, it's exactly what you think it is. An early rose beige 554. I see there are some breaks in the cord, which is unfortunate, and the dial bezel may be a little lighter shade of beige, which is common on rose beige. It's all original, but some parts faded differently from others sometimes. Sometimes the handsets have skin oil staining too. It may not be that different in person. I've seen fading much worse than this. You definitely got a nice phone. So let us know all the particulars like where and how much. I'm sensing a find of the month here.

Also, I see a nice old Frigidaire gas stove in the background. Maybe you need to put this phone to work in that vintage kitchen? I've got a 1955 554 in mine. It works great, and you can hear the phone ring through the wall outside.
Jonathan

Doug Rose

Nice hit Scot.....you done good!....Doug
Kidphone

persido

Thanks guys, I found it in a antique store Manchester New Hampshire the sticker said sold as is, it was only $5, the dial is a little stiff and the gray cord is a mess. It's far from being mint, I'm happy to find a rose colored phone I really wasn't sure at first because it was very dirty, the white numbers and letters gave it away, I've only seen white numbers and letters on black, rose and blue telephones why is that?

Thanks....Scot

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: persido on September 16, 2015, 12:16:53 AM
Thanks guys, I found it in a antique store Manchester New Hampshire the sticker said sold as is, it was only $5, the dial is a little stiff and the gray cord is a mess. It's far from being mint, I'm happy to find a rose colored phone I really wasn't sure at first because it was very dirty, the white numbers and letters gave it away, I've only seen white numbers and letters on black, rose and blue telephones why is that?

Thanks....Scot
I think it's because those colors were generally considered darker, and, therefore, black letters/numbers would be harder to read. In Rose Beige's case, the color was really light enough to have black lettering, but it was built with white lettering anyway. Before 1957, the only colors that had black lettering were Ivory and Yellow I think.

For $5, I'd say this phone is pretty much perfect!!! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"