News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 34 Find

Started by Gilas, May 25, 2012, 09:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

Well decided to go to the local flea market to try and support my new addiction and find something to fix up.  As I am walking through endless rows of everything but phones I see a young lady carrying her purchase pictured below.  Asking what she paid she stated $20 so I asked her if she was willing to double her money and purchased it for $40.  It does need some TLC and will be a long project but one that should have a great outcome in the end with help from all of you and the endless questions I will have ;).  You can see that there are some issues, gasket, cords, dirt, bugs lol but overall don't think I did too bad.  BTW already emailed about the new gasket so hopefully he still has some available.

Mike

dencins

Nice phone and a good price.  Looks like you will need to find a Number Card Ring.

If you are looking to dress it up as part of your refurbish, the cost for nickel plating AE34 parts:

Transmitter Ring - $5.00
Receiver Ring - $5.00
Receiver Plug - $2.50
Fingerwheel - $7.50
Handset Plunger - $2.00
Handset Plunger Collar - $2.00
Number Card Ring - missing

plus return shipping.

I believe the fingerstops on AE34 are stainless steel.  If it is stainless steel, it just needs to be polished.

Dennis

Phonesrfun

The phone looks like a good one for $40.

The ringer is a 33.3~ (Hz) frequency ringer.  You may get it to vibrate somewhat, but it won't really ring without some physical modifications.  the cut-away dial finger wheel is kind of scarce (but not rare) and makes for a nice touch.
-Bill G

Gilas

Thanks guys for the info.  Just started doing the inside and have a question if either of you could help.  The hook switch is soldered in and is in DESPERATE need of cleaning.  I saw that a couple of the wires are broken off already up there and are going to need to be replaced.  What's the best way to deal with the rest?  I'll post a pic to help but should I just take them all out and start over or what.  Not sure if it was just grime and dust that got it this way or not but as you can see the switch needs some care.  BTW did get some of the inner junk cleaned out on the base so it's a start lol.

AE_Collector

I have never really had the need to get into it with the AE 34 ringer. The parts are likely standard with other AE ringers of that era except for the crazy angle mounting bracket. When the 34 is missing its ringer completely I'd say you have a bigger problem than when you wind up with the ringer but it is a frequency ringer. I'd like to figure out how easy it is to disassemble the 34 ringer and reassemble it with parts taken from a similar AE SL ringer.

Terry

stub

lowrey340 ,
                    SWEET phone and the price :o! :o
                    On my 34, I just took it all out and started over reusing the existing wire , just cleaned. Make detailed drawings and you should be fine except the ringer. You need a straight line ringer for it.
                    I'll help if I can.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Argee

Quote from: AE_collector on May 26, 2012, 01:26:49 AM
I'd like to figure out how easy it is to disassemble the 34 ringer and reassemble it with parts taken from a similar AE SL ringer.

Terry

I've done it, it's very simple and straightforward to do.   Just have to take out some screws.

AE_Collector

Okay, that's good to know. I figured that would be the case but usually there is some unexpected "problem" with something like this.

Did you do it for the same reason? To convert an AE 34 freq ringer to a straight line using a similar ringer from a 35, 40 or 50?

Terry

JorgeAmely

You can clean the inside with Woolite and a small brush. Try to keep the water away from the induction coil. It has water soluble glue on the tape that covers it. Woolite will clean the cloth covered wires well and you will be able to see the original colors.

Good luck.
Jorge

Argee

Quote from: AE_collector on May 26, 2012, 09:38:09 PM
Okay, that's good to know. I figured that would be the case but usually there is some unexpected "problem" with something like this.

Did you do it for the same reason? To convert an AE 34 freq ringer to a straight line using a similar ringer from a 35, 40 or 50?

Terry

Yep, that's exactly it.  Used my last extra AE40 SL ringer in it too.