News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Newbie saying Hello

Started by ReneRondeau, October 07, 2011, 11:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReneRondeau

I've collected phones since 1980; I was AFCA member 876 (now lapsed, I'm sorry to say). I had a pretty nice collection but I sold most of my phones over the years and have focused on other hobbies. But I never lost my interest, and never got rid of all my phones..... I was pleased to discover this forum and have had fun lurking, and last night I emailed Dave Hunter to give him a scan of an original Strowger dial card, which he has uploaded for anyone to copy.

Anyway, I thought I'd share one of the phones I kept. It has no dial so it's perhaps inappropriate here, but I love it. I bought it at the Paris flea market in January 2002, barely a week after the Euro became the official currency. Interesting times; everyone was struggling with the new money. Including me. I had lived in France years ago, traveled extensively on business and pleasure for decades and still retain a deep emotional attachment to the Franc. To this day I still carry an 1898 silver 1-Franc coin as a good-luck piece.  God only knows how many glasses of wine this coin bought as it was spent and re-spent over many years. Anyway, I saw this phone hanging on the wall in a stall and fell in love. I know I paid too much (it's the Paris flea market, after all -- everything's overpriced) but I couldn't live without it.

It was made by Louis Pasquet, dated 1905, and marked as "Propriété de État" -- government property (all phones were at the time, just as Ma Bell owned all phones in the US). Lovely design, 'mother-in-law' extension (found on just about all French phones up to the 1990s), and LeClanché batteries for power. It is, as a friend who works at the Ford Museum called it, "deathly beautiful."

And no, it's not hooked up. All I have (currently, no pun intended) wired for use are a 1930s AE payphone (separate speaker and receiver) and an 1890s New England Telephone Co. ringer box which I used in place of the detested electronic chirps on our modern phones -- all shut off.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning a lot more here.

(Edit for spelling).

rp2813

Wow, that's a real contraption.

It has the look of a home brewed one-off instrument.

I wonder how many more besides yours are still out there.

Welcome to the CRP forum!
Ralph

ReneRondeau

I found several online when I first researched it after I bought it so it's definitely not a one-off. But I doubt there are many in the US.

Thanks for the welcome!  :)

Edit: Here's one in candlestick form:

DavePEI

Quote from: ReneRondeau on October 08, 2011, 12:08:35 AM
I found several online when I first researched it after I bought it so it's definitely not a one-off. But I doubt there are many in the US.

Thanks for the welcome!  :)

Hi René:

Beautiful phone, René!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Quote from: ReneRondeau on October 07, 2011, 11:22:21 PM
I was AFCA member 876

Welcome Rene!

ATCA I assume you meant to type? I was ATCA #878. We both initially joined ATCA possibly within days or weeks of each other. I think I joined in 1981. Eventually when children came along my telephone interest went on the back burner and I let my ATCA membership lapse in the late 1980's. I decided to rejoin ATCA in 1999 or so but switched to TCI a couple of years later and have een a member ever since.

Terry

Kenny C

QuoteI decided to rejoin ATCA in 1999 or so but switched to TCI a couple of years later and have een a member ever since

Been I assume you meant to type  ;) ;D  couldn't resist  ;D :)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

ReneRondeau

Quote from: AE_collector on October 08, 2011, 02:29:35 AM
ATCA I assume you meant to type? I was ATCA #878.

Oops! Yes, I did mean ATCA. What a coincidence that we joined within days, if not hours. It was indeed in 1981, I remember it very well. When I rejoined after letting my membership lapse for years they let me keep the original member number, but I have once again let it lapse. The newsletter didn't offer enough to make it worthwhile for me, and the listserv format for Internet discussion was way too much of a mess to sort through. I much prefer structured forum formats like this one.

Wallphone

Kenny, If you are going to turn into a Mr. Grammar I'm afraid that we are going to have to trade you to the TCI Listserv so you can learn from the master. ;D Maybe then you will "bloom" into something. ;)
Doug Pav

ESalter

Quote from: Wallphone on October 08, 2011, 10:46:25 AM
;D Maybe then you will "bloom" into something. ;)

That guy is an absolute riot!  I've never met anyone else that has a personality anything like APB.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kenny C on October 08, 2011, 04:32:13 AM
Quotehave een a member ever since

Been I assume you meant to type  ;) ;D  couldn't resist  ;D :)

Good catch Kenny. Not many can challenge me as King of typo's. And occasionally posting from my BB greatly assists me as well.

DougPav: Good point.

Doug Rose

Quote from: ESalter on October 08, 2011, 11:40:39 AM
;D Maybe then you will "bloom" into something. ;)

That guy is an absolute riot!  I've never met anyone else that has a personality anything like APB.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Kidphone

ReneRondeau

Back when I first got that phone I found several French collector websites with info on them. It appears that none are still online. Bummer. I did find one closed auction on eBay France; 1907 date, finished in black, and incomplete. But the same basic phone.

Doug Rose

Quote from: ReneRondeau on October 07, 2011, 11:22:21 PM
I've collected phones since 1980; I was AFCA member 876 (now lapsed, I'm sorry to say). I had a pretty nice collection but I sold most of my phones over the years and have focused on other hobbies. But I never lost my interest, and never got rid of all my phones..... I was pleased to discover this forum and have had fun lurking, and last night I emailed Dave Hunter to give him a scan of an original Strowger dial card, which he has uploaded for anyone to copy.

Anyway, I thought I'd share one of the phones I kept. It has no dial so it's perhaps inappropriate here, but I love it. I bought it at the Paris flea market in January 2002, barely a week after the Euro became the official currency. Interesting times; everyone was struggling with the new money. Including me. I had lived in France years ago, traveled extensively on business and pleasure for decades and still retain a deep emotional attachment to the Franc. To this day I still carry an 1898 silver 1-Franc coin as a good-luck piece.  God only knows how many glasses of wine this coin bought as it was spent and re-spent over many years. Anyway, I saw this phone hanging on the wall in a stall and fell in love. I know I paid too much (it's the Paris flea market, after all -- everything's overpriced) but I couldn't live without it.

It was made by Louis Pasquet, dated 1905, and marked as "Propriété de État" -- government property (all phones were at the time, just as Ma Bell owned all phones in the US). Lovely design, 'mother-in-law' extension (found on just about all French phones up to the 1990s), and LeClanché batteries for power. It is, as a friend who works at the Ford Museum called it, "deathly beautiful."

And no, it's not hooked up. All I have (currently, no pun intended) wired for use are a 1930s AE payphone (separate speaker and receiver) and an 1890s New England Telephone Co. ringer box which I used in place of the detested electronic chirps on our modern phones -- all shut off.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning a lot more here.

(Edit for spelling).
Welcome to the Forum...simply an outstanding phone. I have never seen anything like it. Beautiful....Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

Kenny, If you are going to turn into a Mr. Grammar I'm afraid that we are going to have to trade you to the TCI Listserv so you can learn from the master. ;D Maybe then you will "bloom" into something. ;)
Doug Pav

I am far from "Mr. Grammar" I just saw that and thought it would be a funny little joke. I am sure I need corrected more than anyone ;D

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kenny C on October 08, 2011, 11:54:47 PM
I am far from "Mr. Grammar" I just saw that and thought it would be a funny little joke. I am sure I need corrected more than anyone ;D

I'm pretty certain that Doug was just taking the opportunity to make a comment about the TCI & ATCA list serve's foolishness, and not really reprimanding you Kenny.

Terry