News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

#302A recorder unit

Started by Babybearjs, July 12, 2013, 01:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I originally posted this picture on the find of the month and now have more photos of my find.... Its a northern Electric 302 with a NE F3 push to talk handset.  When I got it, I totally disassembled it, wires and all... cleaned it up and discovered what it had inside it. since this was a "Custom" phone, there is no schematics available for it and so I took the handset and used it on a 212 handset unit, for future use... I desoldered all the wiring and plan on attemping to rewire it to be used as a intercom unit.... if it will work.... enclosed are the latest photos...   If anyone knows something about this unit...please pass on any info... I'd like to find the original schematic for it if possible and any documentation about the system it was used with. Since its from Canada... I don't really think there is any info available for it... but, heres hoping!!!
John

Babybearjs

ooops! forgot the parts list....  heres what it has in it...

1 101A induction Coil
1 195C capacitor
2 N/O pushbutton switches
2 N/O/N/C 2 pole pushbutton switches
1 5PST relay (possibly 24VDC)
1 Diode (P/N unknown)
1 Capacitor (Value Unknown)
1 Bayonet SC pilot light socket
1 NE51 Neon Lamp

this unit is very interesting... what could it have possibly been used on?????
John

G-Man

It may have been used with a dial dictation unit such as the Gray Autograph.

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on July 12, 2013, 01:51:02 AM

Also, are there any markings underneath the base-plate? 

Plus, the spelling for the dictation unit should be Gray Audiograph instead of Audiograph [sic].

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on July 12, 2013, 07:09:23 PM
Quote from: G-Man on July 12, 2013, 01:51:02 AM

Also, are there any markings underneath the base-plate? 

Plus, the spelling for the dictation unit should be Gray Audiograph instead of Audiograph [sic].

Arghh.....

The spelling should be Gray Audograph INSTEAD of Audiograph!!

WesternElectricBen

I have a gray audograph that looks like a North.

Babybearjs

is there any existing documentation on this audiograph? I'll look around.... if anyone knows more about this then me, pass it on! as for any markings? No, there was no markings.... the baseplate is badly rusted and I was trying to find part numbers but the labels are all washed out or missing. the only thing I found was the engraved "H" on the relay indicating what it was initially made for....the 1A1 system.  I'll do some looking to see what I find....
John

G-Man

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on July 12, 2013, 08:21:00 PM
I have a gray audograph that looks like a North.

A Gray Audograph was manufactured by Gray Manufacturing; the same company that manufactured Gray Paystations. North nor any other manufacturer made them.

In this case we are discussing what may have been a control unit for one that was manufactured from a telephone set made by Northern Electric.

Babybearjs

are there any archived pictures of this unit? where should I look? the Gray Audiograph is totally different then this.... its a record style unit... that uses Blue records.... I looked at the edison televoice, could this have probibly been used with something like that?? or did Northern Electric make custom equipment?  or did they just sell the parts to a 3rd party and let them make the unit....
John

G-Man

I am not aware that an "H" signified that a relay was manufactured for use with 1A1 key systems since Automatic Electric, Western Electric used that same designation on relays used with central office and other equipment as well.

In any event, apparently you are looking at photos or the youtube video of the Gray Audograph unit but not of the telephones that controlled it.

They used telephone housings made by Western Electric, Stromberg Carlson (as used on mine) and presumably others as well.

Your instrument may have been modified for use on another manufacturer's product but it would seem from the designations it was used with some sort of dictation unit. Of course this is only a guess at this point.

OPER. = OPERATE
LIS.      = LISTEN
END     =END
CON    =CONTINUE[/b
]

G-Man

Thanks to Paul it is now verified that your instrument was used with a Gray Audograph dictation machine and has nothing to do with a 1A1 key system.

When you enlarge the photo you will see the identical legends below each of the buttons.

Babybearjs

cool.... I'll do some more research!
John