News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first Western electric 500....

Started by AE40FAN, September 10, 2012, 03:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE40FAN

There is and it is 66.  There is also another number off the side of that and that number is 49.  The phone really does look a grayish green.  I figured avacado would be a darker green.  Possibly it is moss green?

poplar1

"Moss green" and "avocado green" are two names for the same color which is coded -51 (dash 51).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on September 12, 2012, 07:16:30 AM
"Moss green" and "avocado green" are two names for the same color which is coded -51 (dash 51).

So, what's with the -56 (pastel yellow) on the back of the dial, a 7C dated 3-58?

poplar1

The dial was originally yellow in 1958. When the phone was remanufactured in 1966, they changed the dial to green.

AE40FAN

It's probably moss green just dirty lol....

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on September 12, 2012, 10:28:58 AM
The dial was originally yellow in 1958. When the phone was remanufactured in 1966, they changed the dial to green.

That's what I thought, and asked, so thanks for the confirmation.

AE40FAN

Finished Cleaning and Polishing the Black Western Electric 500 from 1953.  I couldn't be happier :-D 

AE40FAN

More Photos...It's unfortunate I couldn't remove the feet and replace them with new suede ones:(  I cleaned them as best I could. 

Dennis Markham

The phone looks great.  Those suede covered foot pads look very nice.  I like to use suede cleaner and a brass bristled brush.  Let them absorb a lot of the suede cleaner to soften them, then gently brush with the brass bristled brush.  It will often bring back the texture of the suede.  Nice job!

TelePlay

A very nice job, indeed, especially on the suede feet.

If not torn or worn through, Dennis's technique to rehab suede works great.

AE40FAN

Thanks gentleman!  Dennis, I will try your technique :)

New England Tel.

Quote from: poplar1 on September 12, 2012, 07:16:30 AM

Well, according to my W.E. color chart, that is not so. Moss Green is indeed coded -51, however, Avocado is lighter and is coded -100.
-Bob Archambault

New England Tel.

Quote from: New England Tel. on July 03, 2013, 01:12:54 PM
Well, according to my W.E. color chart, that is not so. Moss Green is indeed coded -51, however, Avocado is lighter and is coded -100.

Just realized that this is an old thread...sorry!
-Bob Archambault

poplar1

Quote from: New England Tel. on July 03, 2013, 01:17:05 PM
Quote from: New England Tel. on July 03, 2013, 01:12:54 PM

Just realized that this is an old thread...sorry!

No need for an apology. Thanks for the correction.

I think that a lot of people say "avocado green" because that is what the kitchen appliances were called. The best way to avoid confusion is to call it what it is.......-51 (Dash 51).

WesternElectricBen

I call it avocado green but the correct color is Moss Green I think the color code is -51