"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 890 Calls 911

Started by stub, August 21, 2010, 01:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I don't understand this phone ???
With a touch tone pad present who is going to take the time to use a rotary dial ???
Except maybe one of us phone nuts ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

That's an EASY one Harry!

AE knew that their touchpad wasn't very good so they included a spare tire (the rotary dial) just in case. Even if the touch pad worked it could have a weak digit 6 or something so you could quickly substitue a 6 with a 6 on the rotary dial :) (I'm kidding)

The 890 is from the era when most people didn't have Touch Call service (used the AE terminology since we are talking about an AE phone here) so they had to place a call using the dial. The touch pad was then used once connected to send tones to equipment at the other end for banking or other purposes.

Western Union used these phones somehow for customers sending money transfers. Probably had to enter a pin and account info once connected in order to send the cash.

Terry

HarrySmith

OK, thanks  Terry. I forgot touch tone service was an extra at one time :-[
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 24, 2010, 01:29:32 PM
OK, thanks  Terry. I forgot touch tone service was an extra at one time :-[

Obviously Touch Tone had been invented when this phone was designed but remember that early on almost all of the telephone CO switches were electro-mechanical still so touch call service just wasn't available to the majority of subscribers. Slowly the CO's were replaced with electronic CO's and adapters were added to the electro-mechanical ones that weren't going to be replaced for some time.

Terry

stub

Dave-F,
            I saw it when it came on and was waiting to see if I could get dial fixed before I bought it. The dial was working fine and went back to look at and you already bought it. I looks like a realy nice one , but beware, I got a nice 880 speakerphone in one time that had all the guts cut out , Yeah , just a case ,dial and switch.  Anyway , enjoy your new phone and post some pic.     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on August 24, 2010, 02:01:16 PM
Dave-F,
            I saw it when it came on and was waiting to see if I could get dial fixed before I bought it. The dial was working fine and went back to look at and you already bought it. I looks like a realy nice one , but beware, I got a nice 880 speakerphone in one time that had all the guts cut out , Yeah , just a case ,dial and switch.  Anyway , enjoy your new phone and post some pic.     stub

Did you get the gutted 880 restored Ken? If not, I think I have an 880 that is a total basket case on the outside but likely has good internals.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         No , I used the case on it to fix the 880 that had the gray bottom in my collection. I have another one ,gray that I might help Kenny on some time if he wants it . It is complete but I can't remember if it works or not, I have to check it out  some time later. Thanks!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Not a complete gray 880? If so, we need to talk trade. I don't have a gray one or a turquoise one. I do recall seeing your picture and asking you if that 880 had a gray base.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         It has the signal button on the side missing and it's faded very badly. I think it will paint up nicely after repairs are made.  The base has been sanded , came that way. I bought it mainly for parts. I really don't think you would want it.  I'll try to get downstairs and geta pic of it.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

paul-f

While we're on the subject of 890s, I thought you'd like to see how they were packaged from the factory.  Not seen very often anymore!

The phone and terminal block were shrink-wrapped to a piece of cardboard that was just inserted into the box.

It really cut down the required padding and shipping weight, but wasn't very reuseable.

It also makes it difficult to display or test the phone, without damaging the wrapping.   :o
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

stub

Paul-f,
           Sweeeeeeeeeeettttt!!!!!!!!! Nice one !!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on August 24, 2010, 02:30:22 PM
Terry,
         It has the signal button on the side missing and it's faded very badly. I think it will paint up nicely after repairs are made.  The base has been sanded , came that way. I bought it mainly for parts. I really don't think you would want it.  I'll try to get downstairs and geta pic of it.   stub

Someone drilled a hole and added a signal button? Normally they don't come with one. Still, gray isn't very common so should consider sanding it to restore rather than painting it. A hole drilled into it could be a problem though. Send a picture when you have time. Maybe I can send you the plastics from a beater that you can paint.

Terry

AE_Collector

Paul:

I remember getting the later 881 and 882 AECo Speakerphones packed similar to that. That would have been mid 80's though. I wonder when the last 890 was made? WOuldn't think that they were still making them intot he 80's but maybe? I wonder if that could be a refurbished 890 from AE?

Thanks for the pictures.

Terry

paul-f

I could cut it open and check the date code on the bottom.  Or not.   ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Quote from: paul-f on August 24, 2010, 02:43:09 PM
I could cut it open and check the date code on the bottom.  Or not.   ;)

I think I see the dilema! Maybe you can have it X-Ray'd?

Terry