News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Aladdin No.23 Loxon mantle lamp...

Started by twocvbloke, July 29, 2015, 04:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 04, 2015, 08:08:49 PMDoes it throw a lot of heat. I saw the match lighting off the glass which is a tad scary...Doug

It throws out a fair amount of heat, so does need a window open (sensible to do anyway as it is an oxygen-depleting device!) during the warmer months, but come the winter it'll be rather useful as both a heater and lamp, that's for sure... :)

As for the chimney, I've singed my hair a few times while checking the mantle from the top, got to be careful of that, makes me wonder if that heat could be utilised in some manner with a gadget or doodad to do something useful with the exhausted heat... ;D

19and41

One gadget was a mesh burner that could be used to eliminate soot or be used to infuse medications into the air as in the Arthur Conan Doyle story The Devil's Foot.  Also curling irons were often heated on lamp chimneys.  My grandmother worked in a factory that made lamp chimneys.  By the 1920's it had moved on to make the envelopes for electron tubes.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

The main thing I was thinking of was using it in a similar manner to it's bigger brother, the blueflame heaters, where you can cook or boil water over the exhaust from the flame, but on those that's a simple task, just take the top off (carefully, 'cos it's hot!!) and sit a suitable pan ontop and you're set, with the lamp, not so easy, shame too as that heat is enough to cook a stew over...  ;D

19and41

In the USSR they had a thermocouple generator unit that used lamp heat to power a radio receiver in rural areas.

http://oldradio.onego.ru/ARTICLES/RADIO/tgk_real_l.htm

— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I'm guessing that works in a similar manner to a Peltier heater (which generates electricity when heated on one side and kept cool on the other), though I think my Aladdin would melt something like that...  :o

electric al

Quote from: 19and41 on August 04, 2015, 08:46:56 PM
One gadget was a mesh burner that could be used to eliminate soot or be used to infuse medications into the air as in the Arthur Conan Doyle story The Devil's Foot.  Also curling irons were often heated on lamp chimneys.  My grandmother worked in a factory that made lamp chimneys.  By the 1920's it had moved on to make the envelopes for electron tubes.

I'm not sure if it is practical , but what about a fan that is operated by heat !

Pic shows one example .

Never met a phone I didn't like !

19and41

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 05, 2015, 02:02:38 PM
I'm guessing that works in a similar manner to a Peltier heater (which generates electricity when heated on one side and kept cool on the other), though I think my Aladdin would melt something like that...  :o

Actually, the effect can be seen by twisting together two dissimilar metal wires and while heating the twisted strand, measuring for a potential.  It has been used for temperature measurement in high temperature applications for over a century.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Quote from: electric al on August 05, 2015, 03:46:55 PM
Quote from: 19and41 on August 04, 2015, 08:46:56 PM

I'm not sure if it is practical , but what about a fan that is operated by heat !

That might be a good thing to try with the kerosene heater..

Pic shows one example .
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I wouldn't want to try an Ecofan on the 37 heater either, during the colder months I was changing the oil in one of my small engines and inadvertently and absent-mindedly placed the emptied foil tray (but still had a fair amount of oil in it) ontop of the heater, and it caught fire within seconds, so, an Ecofan would be destroyed in no time... :o

twocvbloke

Well, got an original wick cleaner (all brass, as opposed to modern plastic ones) for the lamp to get the flame evened out, and it works nicely, especially as the other night I wasn't paying much attention and ended up with a lump of carbon on the mantle!! :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321815555416

First pic is from ebay, 2nd is after I gave it a bit of a polishing, and 3rd is the lump of carbon that built up due to the flame not being even... ;D

19and41

These hints on light housekeeping are going to come in handy If I should find one at a reasonable price.  :)
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I'm learning as I go, though this website is helping with information on how to do things properly and safely:

http://www.aladdinlamps.info/

:)

19and41

I did a quick scan on Ebay, there are a couple of aluminum font types for wall brackets around $55 - shipping.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Wall and hanging types would be better as they're less likely to be jolted like a table version, I would love to have a hanging one but they're either non-existent or extortionately expensive... :-\

Can't recall where I read it (think it was a collector of Aladdin lamps), but apparently someone in San Francisco had a ceiling-mounted lamp that survived one of the large quakes they had, due to it being suspended so it didn't get shook about and damaged during the quake, and they used it to light their home while the power was out for over a week... :)

Edit:

Of course if I'd reminded myself of that site I linked to, I'd have remembered that it was there I read about the quake-surviving lamps:

http://www.aladdinlamps.info/chimneys.html

;D

old_stuff_hound

Nice find! I like Aladdin lamps! :-)

There are "Loxon" and "Heelless" chimneys. I think the heelless are the newer style. According to Lehman's (store here in the States that caters to the Amish community), either style can be use as long as the correct gallery adapter is installed on the burner.

Link to Lehmans (hope this isn't against forum rules!):
https://www.lehmans.com/p-3385-aladdin-oil-lamp-gallery-top-for-burner.aspx