News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Reflector Lantern: . . . some days you have a chance to run away from the bear

Started by TelePlay, July 12, 2017, 06:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

My local antique store, where I've found several of my lanterns, has this one for sale.

From the front, first image, it looked interesting. A hot blast reflected lantern with a mount for a wall or carriage. On eBay a seller might has said it has tons of patina and character. That is does.

Looking closer, I had to tip it and then took these photos. It was a bit more than "barn fresh."

Quickly decided to pass on this one. I don't even know how much they wanted for it but whatever it was, it was too much. Well, a nice prop for a bar or restaurant or theater.

I ran away from this bear . . .

twocvbloke

Yep, that's a lot of patina, if patina is the new word for giant holes of rust, looks like it sat in a puddle for years or the tank filled with water eating it out from the inside... :o

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

RotarDad

John - Do you one those reflector-style lanterns in your collection?  They sure look cool.  I guess that was the forerunner of the headlight.
Paul

TelePlay

No, I don't have one. They are hard to find and usually in poor condition.

There are several types. The car lanterns I've seen are smaller with lenses and fully enclosed to keep the wind of driving out of the burner. I think this one is a wall lantern with the reflector to keep the heat away from the wall. Some like this have polished reflectors to shine the light on one direction but those are usually indoor table oil lamps.

They do look cool, all of them, but unfortunately those made for outdoor use saw rain. Being rare, even the rotted out ones are expensive and could only ever be used as a prop.

This is a good general example of a Model T auto kerosene lamp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Kerosene-Cowl-head-Lamp-antique-car-E-J-Brown-windshield-Side-Ligh-/272758688897

This rotted out one has a hole and a long slot for mounting on a bolt. Fit the head through the hole and let the weight of the lantern slide down the slot leaving the centre of gravity to hold it upright but easily removable for daily cleaning and refilling. Large fuel tank would be for overnight use on a building exterior to light the wood boardwalk. Something like that.

TelePlay

This one was just listed on for $18 in a 7 day auction plus $12 shipping. It may sell. It will never work as it should but it could be made back into an electric lamp.

Someone drilled a hole in the center of the tank, removed the burner with a crow bar, removed the globe plate and the globe.

I would have expected if it were a lamp to keep the plate and globe so the electric lamp looked like a flame inside the lantern.

Anyway, a few rust holes in it and paint to be removed or painted over. Posting this here to show what an almost complete lantern would look like (all views). The call it an inspectors lantern. I guess the question goes to inspecting what. Was thinking stuff on a dock, ship or truck, where the lantern was hung on a wall focusing the light on the items shipped. Don't know but that seems to fit with the back bracket with the mounting hole.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dietz-Acme-Inspectors-Lantern-Lamp-Parts-Repair-/182671913862

TelePlay

Another one just listed on eBay and this one would be brought back to working condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dietz-Acme-Car-Inspector-Railroad-Lantern-/322594627359

This image shows the reflector plate behind the globe. The burner looks good and really no damage or rust holes. Starting at $75 plus $18 shipping. Be interesting to see what this will sell for. I've never seen one of this in condition like this. It could go for $75 or $175. Don't know. They don't come up that often.

I'd bid on it but I just don't have any railroad cars to inspect.

RotarDad

Thanks, John, for the background info!  Great stuff.  I see you need some land to lay some track so you can start a rail car collection, and then you'll need the inspector's lantern, plus a back-up or two......  ;)
Paul