News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 133: Western Electric #1 (D-8083) Dial - Ended 9/30/14

Started by TelePlay, September 23, 2014, 05:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Had heard about them, but in my inexperience figured $1,000 tops. 

Shows how much I know.  ; )

--Bruce

TelePlay

Here's the final 3% "no crowding" gap spreadsheet for this contest with 17 guesses.

Available guesses or guess ranges are shown in GREEN within the small black bordered box.

Doug Rose

Well....I was in the lead until the last 8 seconds....it went surprising low at $1542.89 but still a great flip for Wayne....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Can hardly buy a pair of shoes with that on Madison Avenue, lol.

TelePlay

The winner of Auction Contest #133 is WEBellSystemChristian, who with the 3rd entry ( of a remarkably high 17 ) into the contest offered the winning guess of $1,800.00. That guess gave him his second auction contest win. Once again, our congratulations go out to WEBellSystemChristian for another win in the CRPF Auction Contests and for moving up one rung in the Contest Standings.

The phone was won by d***d ( 6 ) with his first and only bid, a last second snipe, for $1,542.89. The auction had 14 bidders.

Check out the updated Contest Standings to see who's who through 133 contests and the latest additions to the CRPF Hall of Fame

Thanks again to all who played. As always, there is only one way to get on the winner's board or move up a rung - you have to play to win.

Partyline4

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 30, 2014, 05:58:23 PM
Well....I was in the lead until the last 8 seconds....it went surprising low at $1542.89 but still a great flip for Wayne....Doug

In your opinion, why do you think that it went so low?

TelePlay

Quote from: Partyline4 on February 22, 2015, 01:38:34 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on September 30, 2014, 05:58:23 PM

In your opinion, why do you think that it went so low?

Well, it had plenty of bidders (14) offering 26 bids but in the end, it was a unique but specialty item that from what seems to have been posted would not work

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12689.msg133364#msg133364

as a dial (see discussion of the dial here), would just be for show or to say you have one.

On any given day, current supply pushed it up to $1,500 and current demand kept it down to $1,500. Still, a good price for the dial, just a lot lower than many members who entered the contest thought it would actually sell for at auction close.

Doug Rose

The Land of eBay can be a treacherous place for the seller and the buyer alike. Put it on again and it could go for 5K....or $800. Right place and right time for a good deal for the buyer, but the seller cannot complain as he made a few $$ on it....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Well, it works.  It just doesn't have the full feature set that a WECo dial needs in a telephone supplied to a subscriber.

Here is the switch configuration in the first picture (A) for the D-8083.

A true No.1A dial or a 2A dial for a 50 or 51 candlestick has the configuration in the second picture (B).

Partyline4

I can't argue with you there.

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.