News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Diagnosing a Styleline Mini Network

Started by markosjal, March 02, 2018, 10:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I recently bought a donor styleline that was working for parts. Among other parts I was very interested in the mini network for a WE 202. I tested the phone more than once all was good. I have looked long and hard for junkler stylelines and this was the only one I have seen in Mexico for a while that had a fair price.

I removed the mini styleline network and installed it bin the 202.  All seemd good, and only after several minutes of testing it went intermittent then failed. I assumed I had something shorting in the cramped space of the phone, but this was not the case.

The 202 with mini network will take the line off-hook and the microphone works, but I hear nothing on the 202 with mini network. I also tested the mini network with just a (different) handset, bypassing dial and hookswitch connections and ot the same result.

I have also reheated all solder connections, and some cleaned up the bad factory solder jobs.

Now I did notice the two components (diacs?) that look like disc capacitors of 2 different colors. one is yellow and the other purple. The yellow one looks like it was not properly "dipped" in the rubber coating and is missing coating on the lower 1/4 or one side. antyione know what this component is and how one might test it?

I also figure I can at least check continuity through the coil if I new which pins to test across.

any help appreciated!
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

AE_Collector

I corrected your title from Starlite to Styleline mini networks ... think that's what you meant.

I'm not certain what they are but they usually yellow and purple. No tiny leads on the transformer coil were damaged? Bad spade on end of one of the leads?

Terry

paul-f

A quick trip to the TCI Library produced the following two documents that will help you troubleshoot the network, For more, search for "Styleline."

Link:
   http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/automatic-electric-1/12546-gsp-gtep-997-152-803-i1-may80-p27-styleline-rotary-wiring-mod-tci-pf/file

Filename:  GSP_GTEP_997-152-803_i1_May80_p27_Styleline_Rotary_Wiring_mod_tci_pf.pdf

Link:
   http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/gsp-general-tel-system-practices-by-doc/997-division-subscriber-equipment/402-gsp-997-152-800-i5-styleline-980-series/file

Filename:  GSP_997-152-800_I5_Jun78_980Styleline_Shop.pdf

If the links fail, search in the Library using the first part of the filename as the search string.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Quote from: paul-f on March 03, 2018, 11:01:38 AM
For more, search for "Starlight."

Now Paul is doing it as well! Styleline...not Starlite....

Terry

paul-f

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 03, 2018, 11:39:44 AM
Now Paul is doing it as well! Styleline...not Starlite....

Thanks Terry.

Corrected above.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

markosjal

Thanks guys despite my mixing up of names, you deciphered very well what I needed. The styleline diagram was very useful in locating the fault, and in fact I repaired the network. There is a lot to be said for discrete components not contained in goo like WE does. It seems that one of the tiny wires from the coill broke. With lots of light and a magnigier i was not only able to see it but then repair it. When I did not know exactly what I was looking for I did not see it.

I surprised myself that I was able to jumper a solid wire onto the post bend the two into contact then solder them together, whew! I think the plunger on the 202 must have hit it at some point.

By the way I attached the mini network with Velcro and tiny rubber feet . It facilitates getting it in exactly the right place otherwise it gets in the way of rthe dial or the hookswitch pluger.

wondering if there is a need to stabilize the coil on the network where screws held it down.

now if I could only find that .5cm spring that must have com off an European AE dial!

Mark

kb3pxr

Silly question, but are you sure your receiver is good? Quick test (out of circuit of course) would be to quickly tap the receiver wires across a 1.5 volt battery (even a nearly dead one will work). If the receiver is good, you should hear a click.

markosjal

As my earlier post says I found the problem with one of the tiny coil wires broken at the point where it bent. I had looked and not seen it and did not find it till I had the diagram and tested continuity I managed to fix it.