News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Getting into an FTR 804a

Started by brianthelion, October 24, 2012, 08:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianthelion

I've located a Federal Telephone and Radio 804a at a local antique store. I'm new to collecting and hopefully learning to restore phones and thought the FTR might be a good learning tool. Before purchasing the phone I'd like to open it up to make sure the various components are still there. The bottom seems to have two metal clips on one side and a single one on the other. The single clip appears to be broken which allows that side to lift up an inch or so. Are the other two, clips that need to be released or are they hinges on which the top pivots? Any help will be appreciated.

Brian

HarrySmith

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum. I will be the first to ask: Do you have any pictures? They are always helpful and you know the old saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words".

On another note, don't do it ;D You still have time to save yourself ;D Run away, very far and very fast ;D
"Phonitis" is a progressive, incurable disease. You will soon be needing more room for all the phones if you continue down this path ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Brian,

Welcome to the forum.  The FTR 804A is a magneto phone.  Note that it will not work as-is on a conventional phone line, but there is probably a way to convert it.  I don't think that this phone is particularly rare or valuable.  What is the price on it?

Larry

brianthelion

Larry,

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm drawn to this phone because it's so ugly, like a mangy stray dog. It was priced at $45 but when I showed some interest, the dealer quickly lowered the price to $25. Given that it won't work without modification, I really have to decide if I should make room in my already crowded digs for this stray.

Brian