News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"FONADEK" for the busy executive in your life...

Started by gpo706, March 20, 2011, 07:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owain

Here's another one which appears to have no Warrants. EBay

Owain

And here's a Japanese "Easiphone" device with a similar function, although the acoustic 'scoop' is a different design:

EBAY

gpo706

"Different scoops for different folks..." eh?

I'll get me coat...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

GG

Owain, thanks for the info. 

There's another one on Ebay that comes with a brochure depicting its use with a Japanese #4 telephone (their approximate equivalent of a 302). 

The Easiphone was fairly common in the US, if I'm not mistaken these were also sold by Lafayette Radio. 

Probably one of the best designs since the acoustic scoop was simple and not obstructed by anything.  Though if one wanted to be hard core about that, designing a parabolic dish in which to hang the handset, would have produced the best audio of all:-)

Owain

Is this your worst enemy?

You need to keep down your blood-pressure as well as that mounting pile of outstanding work. Wasting precious time hanging on to that telephone. ...

then make a friend of Fonadek

Advert on Ebay

twocvbloke

The fella in that picture looks like Stephen Fry...  :D

gpo706

I can imagine him having a GPO set in his flat/mansion, despite his gadget mania.  :)

Owain

gpo706

That's a great ad, looks like it has the speaker mounted inside the case, behind those groovy finned grilles.

gpo706

You will now see I have finally got a data lead for my mobile, so can upload pics...

twocvbloke

That first one looks pretty well matched with that GPO 710... :)

gpo706

Yeah, the greys are a pretty good match, I doubt Fonadeks were made in other colours, although you never know...

Owain

This one, in original box, is on offer for £75

EBAY

Interestingly, the list links to the London Gazette which may be the Royal Warrant(s) for the company:

1 January 1975
1 January 1974

Mr. Bones

A very interesting piece of telephony history, thanks for the pictures and info.

Apparently, the company did not survive into the 70's/80's, or Hyacinth Bucket would have had, with certainty, one for her tele. Royal Warrant, you know! (Were these ever available with hand-painted periwinkles?) :D

By the way, these look highly reminiscent of the cradle modems we had in the latter '70's, at my high school, to communicate with the university's mainframes, and do important things, like play "Eliza Exec.) ;)

Of course, ours were designed to accommodate a G-style handset. Iirc, they screamed along at somthing like 100-300 baud. We didn't even need binary: they sent small, pulsing smoke signals back and forth, over the copper pair. ;)

Have a great weekend, and my best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Owain

For the Fonadekophiles there's another one on ebat

Ebay Link

with quite a nice photo