"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Color phones on The Avengers

Started by McHeath, July 16, 2009, 01:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Quote from: Stephen Furley on July 16, 2009, 05:19:28 PM
The colours of those 'phones don't look like the standard GPO ones for the 706; maybe they were ones made for a private system.

They are all standard colours for GPO 706's, two-tone green, ivory (though looks more yellow in grab), red, two-tone grey, plain balck and concorde blue.

All seem to have matching colour finger plates, except the chrome dial on the grey, and have non-standard GPO dial lables, although this is obviously been propped up for the episode, having extension numbers 1 to 6 on them.

Now I only need a black, and a lookalike suitcase and I could replicate this grab!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Stephen Furley

The yellow and blue ones look the wrong shade; I thought the yellow one was a mustard colour which looks a bit light, but if it's an ivory then, as you say, it's a bit too yellow.  The blue a bit too grey.  it's possible that the colours are a bit off on the video of course.  I've got a two-tone grey and a Concorde blue in front of me at the moment, the grey is pretty close, but the inside of the blue, where it hasn't yellowed, is different to the colour on the video.

gpo706

Yes, the ivory looks too yellow, the blue varies from blue to greeny-blue depending on the manufacturer, the two-tone green looks fine by my eyes, depends on the film stock, lighting, print quality on the dvd or remastering etc.

My last indulgence was advertised as a "green bakerlite phone" on ebay, I could see it was really a 706 blue (not a two-tone), but when it arrived it is indeed nearer a blue-green than blue.

Gosh maybe it's worth something! LOL
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"