News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 Arrived today. Step by Step Cleanup. With photos.

Started by Dan/Panther, October 21, 2008, 06:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

I agree. Without getting technical(no point), WD40 is really a water dispersant oil. Great for wet plug wires or the like. But other than that, not the best choice for use as a light machine oil. CLP/Break-Free is another brand that is very good. Probably the best choice would be Militec-1. Just a tiny bit will go a long way. My father uses this on his gun collection and swears by it! I haven't tried it myself, but it seems to be the cats aarrss when it comes to oil/metal bonding.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

I thought I would point out another example of the F1W handset.  On this 302 the seller has shown the F1W.  Also note that the dial is an Automatic Electric dial.  That fact is also pointed out by a questioner.  My guess is the phone may have been made by Western Electric and sold to a small phone company who purchased dials from other companies, like AE.  Thus W.E. marked the handset as an F1W. 

Here's the eBay listing:  http://tinyurl.com/6m663g ( dead link 05-13-21 )

Dennis

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
That dial is what gets  collectors where it hurts. They think man a nice 302 for $10.00, then bam they find out its a Frankenphone.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Wow, I just prowled all the forum topics to date, this one has by far the most views, 649 at the moment.  Clearly these kind of well done, illustrated clean up and repair topics are in demand. 

Dan/Panther

Let's keep em coming.
I started work on a Kellogg wall phone, complete restoration, but I didn't think it belonged here. I took some photos but nothing step by step.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan, I took the time to revisit this posting.  There is a lot of good information here.  You indeed did a remarkable job on that 302!  I have a question about the phone.  I reread but may have missed it.  I saw your photo of the base of the phone.  It has the Patent date stamped in vermilion red.  It was the practice of Northern Electric to mark the phones with the Patent dates.  I came upon a 354 like that and sent a photo to Paul Fassbender who indicated that 354's marked as such were also marked M1 and had 101A induction coils.  I realize yours is a 302 but thought I would suggest that it MAY be Northern Electric.  The only places I know of that are marked with Northern or Western would be the handset and the back side of the dial.

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
The only markings that are WE are the handset which is WE F1W, the dial card was a 516 area code, I know that isn't proof but an indicator.
D/P

Dan/Panther

I happened to think, could the black metal ringers be an indication of origin ?
D/P

JorgeAmely

Dan/P:

Check out my 302 restoration from some months ago.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/1948WesternElectricModel302Phone#
( dead link 03-11-21 )

then click on Slideshow.

You really went the extra mile in saving your 302. It will be a family heirloom from now on.

Jorge
Jorge

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
Nice work, I'm very partial to the 302.
D/P

HobieSport

I have heard internet rumors about Dan/Panther and WE 302s.

I have heard that he is really an award winning race car driver from the early 1930s.

I have also heard that Bingster is mysterious.

They are somewhat suspicious, yet sort of my heroes.

I call them "The Stig".

-Hobie

-Matt

bingster

= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

I only wish I could be Stig.
Always been a dream to race cars....
Came real close in 1972, almost bought a Super V open wheel  car, but decided the $6000.00 was to much to risk. Oh what might have been.
D/P

McHeath

QuoteThe Stig

Wow, I'm outta the loop, who is The Stig?