News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day

Started by tallguy58, November 11, 2013, 10:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

It's great to collect phones and such but we would not have the luxury to do this if not for the sacrifice of those that fought for our collective freedom, no matter what country you reside in.

It's in this spirit that I ask you all to remember the veterans that have fought or died for the cause of freedom.

I'm sure everyone on this board has someone in their family that deserves this tribute.
Cheers........Bill

TelePlay

Well said, tallguy58. Thank you, and thanks to all who served.

Dennis Markham

I'll second those sentiments as well.  To all of our Veterans on the Forum or anyone just passing through.....Thank You for all you do and have done so that we may all live free.

DavePEI

No wonder whether we are from Canada or from the US, our veterans need our support and thanks.

Here is a Bell Canada Video from a number of years ago celebrating our Veterans:

http://tinyurl.com/bkjz7w2

or

http://youtu.be/Dd1FNPx_YN4

Lest We Forget.

Dave

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Yeah. Thank you Vets!!

In my opinion, people I know seem to forget about them, as they don't seem relevant to them. But they will always be important.

Ben

AE_Collector

Once again it is Remembrance Day or Armistice Day. My dad and his brother were in WW2 and thankfully both survived though my uncle was injured.

All through my teen years I played in a Royal Canadian Legion Band....marching, concert and dance band. I've played almost every type of saxophone made. Being sponsored by the legion we were at the local Cenotaph every November 11th playing hymns at 11 AM frequently in some of the most miserable cold rainy weather we can have here around Vancouver. Didn't matter.

Then we would go inside the Legion hall for something warm to drink, lunch and the chance to talk with many veterans. Starting about 1 o'clock our dance band would start up, a 16 piece band like Glenn Millers and all the other "Big Bands" of the 1940's era. There was nothing the WW2 veterans liked more than that dance band party in the afternoon to celebrate that they survived and maybe reflect back on some of their comrades who didn't. We kept the party going until everyone had headed home, usually quite late in the afternoon.

To this day the same thing happens here at the Legion Hall and the Cenotaph every November 11 though admittedly I don't play the music there anymore, lots of younger guys and girls keep it going though. It is quite refreshing to see the numbers of youngsters who show up in larger and larger numbers each year whether for just a half hour, half the day or more.

I think there is a real good chance that "We Never will Forget".

Terry

From Wikipedia: 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armistice_of_11_November_1918
The Armistice of 11 November 1918 was an armistice during the First World War between the Allies and Germany – also known as the Armistice of Compiègne after the location in which it was signed – and the agreement that ended the fighting on the Western Front. It went into effect at 11 a.m. Paris time on 11 November 1918 ("the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month"), and marked a victory for the Allies and a complete defeat for Germany, although not formally a surrender. The Germans were responding to the policies proposed by U.S. President Woodrow Wilson in his Fourteen Points of January 1918. The actual terms, largely written by French Marshal and Supreme Commander of the Allied Armies Ferdinand Foch, included the cessation of hostilities, the withdrawal of German troops to behind their own borders, the preservation of infrastructure, the exchange of prisoners, a promise of reparations, the disposition of German warships and submarines, and conditions for prolonging or terminating the armistice. Although the armistice ended the actual fighting, it took six months of negotiations at the Paris Peace Conference to conclude the peace treaty, the Treaty of Versailles.

HarrySmith

I also thank all the veterans, here and abroad, "all gave some, some gave all".
I served in the US Navy, not during a war but I am a Vietnam era vet. I joined in January and we left Saigon in April.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

I joined the Army in early 1974.  When I got to my duty station most people who had more time in service were Vietnam veterans and most all of them were good people to know and work with and work for.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e