News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 1959 Pink 554 "Restoration"

Started by MagicMo, June 15, 2013, 10:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

I picked up this lil' cutie on eBay for $18+shipping. It is a 1959 pink 554 (ABS) and all the dates match. It was badly yellowed but I was able to get rid of it.
I have not seen a lot of pink 554's on eBay. Is it something special or just a regular 554?

I'm still working on the handset and coil cord (see J-e-l-l-o) but it is almost done.
Thanks
Mo ;)

Before and after
Practice Kindness :)

poplar1

These were often used as kitchen phones. Last time I checked, there were more avocado green and gold rather than pink appliances in kitchens. We did have a "pink bathroom" (with pink fixtures) growing up in the 1960s.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MagicMo

Quote from: poplar1 on June 15, 2013, 10:19:24 PM
These were often used as kitchen phones. Last time I checked, there were more avocado green and gold rather than pink appliances in kitchens. We did have a "pink bathroom" (with pink fixtures) growing up in the 1960s.

Now that you mentioned it, the house I live in now had a pink kitchen before we remodeled it. Pink counter tops with steel accents. It even had indoor-outdoor PINK carpeting. Even though it was outdated it was beautiful in an odd sort of way. It almost felt like you were walking onto the set of a 50's TV show. I'll try and find a picture to post.
Mo

TelePlay

Quote from: MagicMo on June 15, 2013, 10:26:50 PM. . . the house I live in now had a pink kitchen before we remodeled it. Pink counter tops with steel accents. It even had indoor-outdoor PINK carpeting. Even though it was outdated it was beautiful in an odd sort of way. It almost felt like you were walking onto the set of a 50's TV show.

And, by chance, were there any of these accents gracing the kitchen décor?  :o

MagicMo

Teleplay,
Hey! how did you know??
Seriously, they were in the back yard, they took them with when they left.
Lol
Mo

WesternElectricBen

twocvbloke

Why were older bathrooms always pink? ???

I recall several bathrooms I have frequented over the years being pink, with a few avacados and one or two pale blues, of course, these days people see coloured throneroom suites as grotesque, so they have to rip them out and scrap them in favour of something cheap & white which probably will be ripped out again in a short time in favour of the next fad.... :D

Personally, if I found a house with an avacado bathroom, I would keep it, cos it's not part of a fashion fad... ;D

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: twocvbloke on June 16, 2013, 05:08:10 AM
Why were older bathrooms always pink? ???

I recall several bathrooms I have frequented over the years being pink, with a few avacados and one or two pale blues, of course, these days people see coloured throneroom suites as grotesque, so they have to rip them out and scrap them in favour of something cheap & white which probably will be ripped out again in a short time in favour of the next fad.... :D

Personally, if I found a house with an avacado bathroom, I would keep it, cos it's not part of a fashion fad... ;D

Pink and blue were big colors if the 50s. Every house in our niehborhood has either a pink or blue bathroom.
Ben

MagicMo

Quote from: southernphoneman on June 16, 2013, 07:29:51 AM
Quote from: MagicMo on June 15, 2013, 10:04:40 PM
I picked up this lil' cutie on eBay for $18+shipping. It is a 1959 pink 554 (ABS) and all the dates match. It was badly yellowed but I was able to get rid of it.
I have not seen a lot of pink 554's on eBay. Is it something special or just a regular 554?

I'm still working on the handset and coil cord (see J-e-l-l-o) but it is almost done.
Thanks
Mo ;)

Before and after
hi magic mo, how did you return the plastics to their original pink?

Hi, I'm not sure you should restore any phone the way I did. This was a total "experiment" that accidentally turned out good. I used salon 40 Cream and applied it liberally and put it out in the sun. It was done within an hour! I ended up with a light swirl all over the phone, I thought I really screwed it up. I was able to sand off the discolor. Then I used micro mesh to make the finish smooth and shiny. It ended up taking a lot of time but it turned out beautifully. Pretty enough for me to want to keep it!
PS.. Warning, do NOT do anything that I did!
Mo

AE40FAN

Quote from: MagicMo on June 16, 2013, 09:17:30 AM
Quote from: southernphoneman on June 16, 2013, 07:29:51 AM
Quote from: MagicMo on June 15, 2013, 10:04:40 PM

Thanks
Mo ;)

Before and after
hi magic mo, how did you return the plastics to their original pink?

Hi, I'm not sure you should restore any phone the way I did. This was a total "experiment" that accidentally turned out good. I used salon 40 Cream and applied it liberally and put it out in the sun. It was done within an hour! I ended up with a light swirl all over the phone, I thought I really screwed it up. I was able to sand off the discolor. Then I used micro mesh to make the finish smooth and shiny. It ended up taking a lot of time but it turned out beautifully. Pretty enough for me to want to keep it!
PS.. Warning, do NOT do anything that I did!
Mo

Well, whatever you did worked....