Are these old phone wires?

Started by MagicMo, June 16, 2013, 10:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Thanks,
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

G-Man

Western Electric central office wiring. The partial roll is distributing frame jumper wire.

Some of the WECo cable goes for big bucks if one can keep a straight enough face while composing a highly embellished description for eBay. Kinda like Nassau solder selling for insane prices because of it's mystical properties when use with Western Electric audio equipment.

The satin silver jacketed cable is common electronic cabling but may have been used with test equipment and other such uses. I'll take a closer look at the rest to see if I can be more specific.

TelePlay

Quote from: G-Man on June 16, 2013, 11:19:29 PMThe satin silver jacketed cable is common electronic cabling but may have been used with test equipment and other such uses.

This may be a stupid question but are there more than one type of wire called "silver satin?" I have a spool of silver satin line cord that is flat, takes a modular plug. Mo's picture looks more like Cat 5 wall wiring. Is "silver satin" just the jacket so any bundle or type of wire with that silver jacket a silver satin wire? Just trying to add to my knowledge base on this G-Man. Thanks for a reply.

And yes, "ca-ching" would be a general description of all the wire in her possession.

DavePEI

Quote from: G-Man on June 16, 2013, 11:19:29 PM
Some of the WECo cable goes for big bucks if one can keep a straight enough face while composing a highly embellished description for eBay. Kinda like Nassau solder selling for insane prices because of it's mystical properties when use with Western Electric audio equipment.
Molecularily aligned first quality cable from the labs of Western Electric designed for best electron flow and least resistance! Will make even the poorest audio equipment sound like a chorus of heavenly angels singing and heralding a new and better day! 50 year old oxidation adds a depth of sound stage and imaging that cannot be replicated. Finally, lovingly jacketed in the finest lambs wool and deer hide made supple by the gentle massaging of Nubian princesses on only the holiest of days :)

No wonder it is worth so much - a marvel of the 20th century!

Ahhh-Ummmmmmmmmmmmm! Praise father Western Electric!

Now you know why old phones sound so much better than modern ones! No wonder those outside Western Electric demanded that Golden Boy be gelded!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

G-Man

Quote from: TelePlay on June 16, 2013, 11:51:51 PM
Quote from: G-Man on June 16, 2013, 11:19:29 PMThe satin silver jacketed cable is common electronic cabling but may have been used with test equipment and other such uses.

This may be a stupid question but are there more than one type of wire called "silver satin?" I have a spool of silver satin line cord that is flat, takes a modular plug. Mo's picture looks more like Cat 5 wall wiring. Is "silver satin" just the jacket so any bundle or type of wire with that silver jacket a silver satin wire? Just trying to add to my knowledge base on this G-Man. Thanks for a reply.

And yes, "ca-ching" would be a general description of all the wire in her possession.

Your wire/cable is not called (at least correctly) silver satin.

Instead it describes the colour/finish of the jacket on your cable. I.e., it is a flat, cable for use as a modular line cord with a jacket having a silver satin colour/finish.

It is also available with jackets in other colours such as silver, black, white, red as shown in this spec. sheet from Mouser Electronics:

•   http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-301203.pdf

My usage is to describe the colour of some of the other cables. It could also be called grey or silver grey.

G-Man

Add two additional jacket colours are beige and ivory.

G-Man

IF I read the Belden number on the cable correctly, it is composed of six, individually shielded, tinned-copper, 22-guage stranded conductors covered with a  pvc CHROME jacket.

G-Man

Judging by the heavy gauge conductors of the armoured cable I suspect it to be some sort of power cable.

I thought possibly dc but when I enlarged the jpeg I can make out 3-conductors which might indicate commercial ac power.

If you know an experienced industrial electrician you may want to ask him as to what its intended application is.

G-Man

I suspect the chrome/silver-satin jacketed cable was made up locally for testing of some other custom application. I am unable to make out the connector on the other end but from small portion that I can see, there is something familiar about it, though it does not appear to be a standard type. Perhaps someone else will recognize it. I think the entire assembly is worthy to deploy on eBay.

In the description give the footage, Belden number, number of conductors, gauge and other information such as what I obtained from the manufacturer's spec. sheet.

I believe the cable itself is rather expensive when purchased new and while it may not be a great amount, it should bring in a few bucks at least.

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on June 17, 2013, 06:17:49 AM
Judging by the heavy gauge conductors of the armoured cable I suspect it to be some sort of power cable.

I thought possibly dc but when I enlarged the jpeg I can make out 3-conductors which might indicate commercial ac power.

If you know an experienced industrial electrician you may want to ask him as to what its intended application is.

From what little I can see in the photos I am assuming that the flexible jacket is stainless steel. If it is not then it's just a common power cable in flex conduit. While I doubt there are, see if there are any numbers imprinted on it to help us out.

MagicMo

Wow, thanks for the information. I forgot one more pic. The steel cable does not have anything imprinted on it. It reminds me of a handset line from a payphone but I compared it to one of my phones and it didn't match.
Thanks!!

rdelius

That cable has Cinch Jones connectors. note the KS number on them These might be WE test cables

MagicMo

Dave PEI,
I love the description!! I'll have to use that when I sell them on eBay! Too funny.
Reminds of the time I went to the Dr to get my cast off my hand, "will I be able to play the piano?" I adked the Doc. Of course," he said. "Wow, that's great!" I said, "I never did before!"
Mo

G-Man

Quote from: rdelius on June 17, 2013, 09:59:43 AM
That cable has Cinch Jones connectors. note the KS number on them These might be WE test cables

The connector on one end is easily identifiable as a Cinch-Jones connector however the other end was partially obscured. In the new photo it is still hard to tell what it is but I suspect it is configured with multiple Bantam patch connectors. And by the looks of the hood and loose foil shielding I suspect it was not factory fabricated but was constructed locally for some custom test application.

I am not sure if the photo showing the mfr's number is from the partial reel or the connectorized coil of cable but this is from a Belden spec. sheet:

8728 Multi-Conductor - Special Audio, Communication and Instrumentation Cable

Description
22 AWG stranded (7x30) TC conductors, polypropylene insulation, cabled in pairs, overall Beldfoil® shield (100% coverage), 24 AWG stranded TC drain wires, PVC jacket.
[/b]

Currently Mouser Electronics is offering a 500-foot spool for $487.18 or about .97-cents per foot.

MagicMo

I will eBay this on Sunday.
Thanks for the help!!