If we had such an award, I would nominate this:
http://tinyurl.com/38hu3ac
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

jsowers

The chicken coop extension. Kept on the floor.
Jonathan

Tom B

Judging by the dust it hasn't been rerfurbished anytime recently - might be an all date smatcher  :o
Tom

gpo706

Is the chicken sh"' the same date?

Good God, the seller could have at least sacrificed a duster on it!

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

JorgeAmely

I think Dennis has the record for the dirtiest phone. A Kellogg 500 model I believe.
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

Just try to imagine how it looks under the cover :o

Larry

Dennis Markham

This is the phone Jorge was referring to as my dirtiest.....it still holds the record for me.

I put together an album for it if anyone is interested.  You can see it here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/vintagerotaryphones/KelloggModelDK500#

ESalter

I always go to the Dayton, OH hamfest.  It used to be the same vendor in the same location always had an old filthy faded WE 500(beige) that had a piece of paper taped to the front that read "Talk Dirty $5.00"  The past few years it hasn't been there though.  Don't know if some person actually bought it or if he caught on and threw it away.   ---Eric

McHeath

Icky all around.  I bought a 59' 500 last year for the straight handset cord and it turned out to be a huge bust.  The phone had been in a barn or something like forever, mud dabber had nested in it, along with some sort of beetles, very nasty.

Then the whole thing had corroded from moisture, the handset cord was ruined because it had corroded all the way through in the middle of the cord. 

The network was filled with beetles as well, they had crawled down in the vent hole on the top and it was shorted out. 

And to top it all off the thing had busted in shipping, cracking the case.

gpo706

wow Dennis, never judge a book etc...

Fab job, how many gallons of elbow grease did that take?

Who had the horror story of the bellbox stuffed with dead cockroaches - yuch, vile!

Mind you I had the Dictograph terminal box with a live wasp - in November!

LarryInMichigan

QuoteWho had the horror story of the bellbox stuffed with dead cockroaches

The usual packing instructions should probably be amended to include steps to take to prevent the roaches or other resident vermin from dying during shipment :D

Larry

Dennis Markham

I recall removing a gong from a 554 ringer only to have a bunch of tiny spiders spill out and onto the top of my hand on their way up my arm.  Yuk.  They looked like they just hatched...if spiders hatch.

I wrote a post about it here:

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/?p=19

Some may have already read it.

gpo706

No thanks Dennis, that one about the mummified roaches still give me the boak...

Phonesrfun

As long as we are on the subject, here is a "barn-fresh" Kellogg 700 I picked up last week in Portland.

-Bill G