News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cleaning cloth cords

Started by Steve, June 06, 2009, 09:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I need to clean paint off a cloth cord. will plain water get it off or just make it worse?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Ellen

What kind of paint?   Hard to tell, I know.  Maybe (forgive me) you could paint over it in the color of the actual cord. 

Steve

seems to be a latex based paint. I just dont want to dilute the paint and have it penetrate deeper into the cloth.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Dan/Panther

Do a search of 302, under my name. I posted  awhile back how to repair and clean the clothe cords.
A little warm water dishsoap and a toothebrush should remove the paint.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

If it's old paint, it's probably oil-based, and water won't do a thing to it.  Mineral spirits might work, but I'd be worried about what it would do to the rubber conductors.  You might try some Dawn Power Dissolver on it.  I don't think it would hurt the cloth or the conductors, and I found out the hard way that it removes paint very quickly.  A gentle paint stripper like Citrus-strip would probably work, too.
= DARRIN =

Steve

LOL!

you make a good point Bingster, but I should have mentioned in my initial post that this is a cord from a Country Junction design line from the 70's. it's a regular modular cord with a cloth covering. looks like the old cloth but not sure if it's the same composition as the old ones. I'll look up your post D/P, IIRC you worked miracles on that one.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,