News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ringer box will it work with todays volatge and how should it be wired?(FIXED!)

Started by Dave Beck, January 28, 2014, 07:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Beck

O.K. everyone, please understand you are dealing with a real newbie here. I actually used to repair teletype equipment while in the air national guard, but that was Many years ago, so my knowledge of phones is very limited. I have a few phones that do not have a ringer, so in my infinite wisdom  I bought a small wooden ringer box hoping that would work for me, now I am not sure.

There are 2 terminals on the outside of the box where the connections are made there are 2 coils and a magnet on the ringer itself.

Let me know if I can actually use this or is it going to be a display piece?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

poplar1

These extension ringers usually don't have a capacitor. If yours doesn't, then you will need to wire one in series with the ringer before connecting it to the line. Can you post pictures of your ringer?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dave Beck

Attached are pictures of the coils and ringer assembly. No capacitors. Can I adapt any other type of ringer system to fit in the little box, thinking about a we 302 base, take it apart and arrange parts.

Phonesrfun

The one in the ebay auction is made for outside and they tend to be pretty loud.  But yes, that is made to be connected to a phone line. 

Western did make a couple of stand-alone ringers.  One looks like a 685A subset, but is a ringer only and I can't remember the model.  The other one is an E1 ringer that was often paired up with the early pricness phones that had no internal ringer.  Other manufacturers made stand-alone ringers too.

The ringer and capacitor from a 302 will also work.  The ringer from a 500 will work too, with a 0.5 mF 250 volt capacitor.
-Bill G

TelePlay

Quote from: Dave Beck on January 28, 2014, 07:09:23 PM
I have a few phones that do not have a ringer  .  . .

Can you list the phones you have that don't have ringers and/or post pictures of them?

poplar1

Are there holes in the box that line up with the ringer posts? In other words, were they originally together?

Old ringers like this will often still work if the coils are good. They do draw more current than a modern ringer, which limits the number that will ring on the same line. Also, since there is no biasing spring, there will be "ring tap" whenever a phone goes off-hook, hangs up, or dials a number with a rotary dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dave Beck

I have the following phones:
1. Kellogg candlestick with mini network installed
2. Stromberg Carlson 1197
3. 1940 WE 302
4. KTAS copper Danish phone haven't received it yet
5. model 40 Automatic Electric

The KTAS, model 40, and 302 all have ringers, but will probably one have one hooked up at a time.

Dave Beck

I just tore the box apart to start refinishing it. It was an original complete unit.
Dave

wds

That's a nice looking ringer box.  I would add a Cap. and use what you have.
Dave

Spanish_phones

Hi everyone! And hi Dave!

Well, wiring a ringer box is the simplest thing in the word, much easier than wiring a telephone, just follow this circuit:

L1, which is one of your line wires, connected to one wire of the ringer itself (coils if you prefer)
Then, connect a 1µF capacitor to the other wire or the coils in series, in other words, connecting one terminal or the capacitor to the free wire of the ringer.
Finally, connect the free terminal of the capacitor to L2, which means the other line wire.

And that's it!! I attach you one photo of the circuit just in case you didn't understand me ;)

Good luck!

Dave Beck

Thanks everyone for the help, I am going to check and see if the coils are good today if they are I will just add a capacitor. I live in central western Oklahoma and do not have access to a radio shack etc. Would anyone happen to have a capacitor that I could purchase from them?
Thanks again,
Dave

Spanish_phones

Dave, buying a 1µF capacitor is not a difficult task, you can buy it on internet, just google 1µF capacitor and you will find a huge variety. You can buy a ceramic one for example, but NEVER a electrolytic capacitor. Also you can buy it in a electronic components store.

Here there are a few links of photos of capacitors:

http://tinyurl.com/m9j3l7r
http://static4.tme.eu/katalog_pics/e/8/a/e8ad4cfa4f4b452f42899885e629fd1d/mkp4%201u_1000.jpg
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/079/914/368/368914079_545.jpg
http://www.fadishop.eu/WebRoot/StorePiensa/Shops/ec2286/4FD4/C31F/BD9C/3425/1E47/AC10/1418/44D5/1mmF_50v.jpg

Dave Beck

Well I just checked the coils, no ohm readings looks like one wire is gone from one of the coils but the other doesn't read either, so now I guess I will be looking for something to replace the ringer assembly.

Thanks,
Dave

Spanish_phones

Quote from: Dave Beck on January 29, 2014, 09:38:21 AM
Well I just checked the coils, no ohm readings looks like one wire is gone from one of the coils but the other doesn't read either, so now I guess I will be looking for something to replace the ringer assembly.

Thanks,
Dave

May be the wire that connects the end of one coil to the begenning of the other is the one that is gone. Try to fix it and the ringer would probably work

Iñaki