News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Something different for me - 7" Vinyl Single, Channel 4's "Four Score" theme...

Started by twocvbloke, April 04, 2014, 11:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

This is the first vinyl I've ever bought, and will be the first I've played in a very long time (last time I think was in the 90's, a single with music from one of the Crocodile Dundee films), but I've been after this particular one for a while, it's just been hard to come by, but now I have it, and I'm happy.... ;D

One problem, I don't have a turntable...

Anyway, for those who aren't in the UK, Four Score was for most of the 80s the theme for Channel 4 which started up in 1982, I'm just old enough to remember when they still used it for their idents, but this particular piece was used when they first started up in 1982, and was a complete financial nightmare for Channel 4, as they got the royalties contract wrong, so every time they played those 4 simple notes, the writer, David Dundas, earned £3.50, which was a reasonable amount back then, so they shelled out thousands in a month all due to that one error and the now Lord Dundas laughed all the way to the bank...

This is Four Score (albeit a poor recording):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xr8MgDiVyw

The B-side has "Four Score-II", which is what initially was used between programmes when they had no adverts to show (either because of a lack of them or due to a strike that occurred back then) or if there was a technical fault, just a simple and very synthy piece with the same 4-note royalty earner...

This is Four Score-II (and again isn't a great copy):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWAK6IIERKA

I've had a decent digital copy for a few years now, but I've wanted the vinyl copy ever since I discovered it's existence, and always seemed to be pipped to the post, but thanks to the website I bought it from (www.discogs.com - lots of vinyl to be had there, both modern and vintage), I have it in my possession... ;D

Not much in the way of pics, but here they are anyway: