News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1980 Northern Telecom Centurion Pay Phones

Started by ....., January 28, 2015, 11:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have two 1980 Northern Telecom Centurion Pay Phones that I'm going to put up for sale. I bought three of these last year at an automotive swap meet. They had been already converted for home use and came with the T-key. They dial out and ring in fine. They were very dirty when I bought them. I think they had been sitting in outdoor shed somewhere. I cleaned them up and have one hooked up and use it in my garage. I would be putting them on a local online selling site first and that doesn't work. I'll try eBay. I was wondering what would be a good asking price to put them up for?

HarrySmith

One of our more knowledgeable payphone guys will probably be able to offer advice on pricing but my thought is offer them here first! You have a built in  audience that is passionate about that kind of stuff!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 28, 2015, 02:11:33 PM
One of our more knowledgeable payphone guys will probably be able to offer advice on pricing but my thought is offer them here first! You have a built in  audience that is passionate about that kind of stuff!!

I was going to do that as well. I would give a member here a better deal then what I would price them for on an auction/selling site. I just wanted to get a feel for what to sell them for.

xhausted110

I bought two complete ones for $30, but I think that was an exceptional deal.
- Evan

Quote from: xhausted110 on January 28, 2015, 02:52:44 PM
I bought two complete ones for $30, but I think that was an exceptional deal.

I would say so. I paid more than that for mine.

Kimball321

Do you have photos of the phones with the faceplate and the coin vault door off to see what is inside?  Also do these phones have locks and if they do do they have keys?  Might think about buying one of them but my mom said no more pay phones till I move out!
I collect payphones :)

DavePEI

Quote from: Autonut on January 28, 2015, 11:08:53 AM
They had been already converted for home use and came with the T-key.
Centurions don't require any conversion to use on a home line. When connected to a home line, they will work right out of the box. The only conversion I do is tie the coin relay either to the box or the return side to send all coins to the desired place.. A nylon wire tie will do this nicely. I have two full Centurions in the museum.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mr. Bones

Can't remember,

Will a Centurion work as a proper coin collector phone on a POTS line?

Thanks, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

DavePEI

Quote from: Mr. Bones on January 28, 2015, 08:09:16 PM
Can't remember,

Will a Centurion work as a proper coin collector phone on a POTS line?

Thanks, and best regards!
No, they won't work as a coin collector - but will work as a home phone without the necessity of inserting coins...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mr. Bones

Thanks, Dave!

Keep warm, and good health to you, my friend! :D :D :D :D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Kimball321

I was just asking because sadly often times "converted for home use" means that coin relays and sometimes other important parts are ripped out, and I wanted to see the vault door open to see if there was a coin box in the phone.
I collect payphones :)

Quote from: Kimball321 on January 28, 2015, 09:29:35 PM
I was just asking because sadly often times "converted for home use" means that coin relays and sometimes other important parts are ripped out, and I wanted to see the vault door open to see if there was a coin box in the phone.

There are no coin boxes, but there will be. I bought some boxes and they are in North Carolina at my friend's house. I'm heading down there at the end of March and will be picking them up. Anything I buy off eBay generally gets sent there. I have quite a bit of stuff down there waiting for me to pick up. I'm working midnight's tonight and tomorrow night. I will try and get some pictures of the phone opened this weekend when I'm off.

As promised pictures of the open Centurion.

DavePEI

Quote from: Autonut on February 01, 2015, 06:22:45 AM
As promised pictures of the open Centurion.
Your phone is missing its coin relay...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

All three phones I have are missing them. The guy I bought them from said Bell removed them. The information cards were to be removed as well. Two of the phones had the top cards, that was a bonus.