News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Conversions done in the Western Electric Distributing Houses (Service Centers)

Started by poplar1, April 04, 2013, 07:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

Here is the same stamp with a 11-78 date label on a Teleconcepts set.  It apparently started with AE components that were all replaced with WE parts.

Next is a different stamp on the bottom of a Suttle Tablephone.  They also stamped the inside of the wood housing.  The set now has a 425E network, P-type ringer, Bell System 4-prong plug and disconnected magneto.  The usual Leich handset was replaced by a Northern Electric F1.  The elements have been changed to G-type handset elements -- possibly after the modification.  (A paper label inside shows the Tablephone was originally tested on 8-23-41.  The original "Tablephone" circuit drawing is present.)

The North H-series set was marked inspected.  Presumably, modification was not required.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

I may be wrong, but I think the North 4H6 set may have been "inspected" when new. This set is covered in a BSP.

I always wondered what they'd say they had to do to "modify" an ITT, Northern or S-C 500, since these had parts licensed by WE.

After all, this is the kind of thinking that got them in trouble with a judge in California: they required a "voice coupler" (leased, of course) and 6 wires from a certain model customer-owned (non-WE) answering machine to the coupler. Yet Pacific Bell was leasing the same model with no coupler and only 2 or 3 wires!

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

Quote from: poplar1 on October 03, 2013, 01:07:26 PM

I may be wrong, but I think the North 4H6 set may have been "inspected" when new. This set is covered in a BSP.

The BSP is C32.505.

Whether new or not, these were not made in a Western Electric factory.  Where were they shipped to WE and inspected and where was the inventory held?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

Here is a set that was apparently converted at least twice:

Originally, it was a 533A (1533A) wall set with separate transmitter mounted in the center of the front cover, and receiver on the side.
Then, a dial was added and at that time, the transmitter was moved lower on the front (533A > 553A).
The circuit was changed from sidetone to anti-sidetone at some point (553A > 653A)The ringer was also changed to a B1A, the type used in 302s (653A> 653BA).
Finally, an F-type handset was added in place of the original transmitter and receiver.
The final version was stamped "653BA per D157315."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mr. Bones

Great phone!

I just love seeing the ingenuity with which these were re-utilized, and their useful lifespans extended. There is much to be said for the quality of the original components durability, myriad of which we still find to be perfectly operable today.

I am a huge believer in the concept of 'overbuild', which, sadly, is no longer a leading agenda in the production of 95~% of consumer goods.

Best regards, enjoy your weekend!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus