Main Menu

eBay Surprise! 500 A/B

Started by Willytx, April 09, 2011, 08:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willytx

I saw this on eBay last week,

http://tinyurl.com/3gcky95

looked and then moved on.
A couple days later I saw it again. Something about the handset cord got me. About an hour before bidding closed I bid the minimum and then went grocery shopping. When I got home, I had won it. Probably another black phone, just what I need.  ;)

It arrived today.... The top of the box was taped seven ways from Sunday, so I sliced open the bottom. After removing the foam padding I read 500 A/B!

Opening the phone up, the 425A network is dated 7-50, the equalizer August 8 1950. The ringer is dated 1956. The shell is also later, marked 64. The transmitter is 12-1-55 and receiver 10-11-62. A bit of a mutt, but the bones are a 1950. On the base I can read where 500 A/B were painted over, next to the other 500 A/B marking. I can't make out anything at the  other painted out spot near the front screw.

As far as the handset cord, it looks just like the one on my 1953 500, just more glossy.

There is much more exploring to do on this phone.

Kenny C said these thing come in pairs. Apparently, they come in threes!

Kenny C

4th 1950 base dated 500 this year. Congratulations. Maybe this is everyones year.

That transmitter was made on my grandmothers 33rd birthday:)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Adam

Congrats!  April is 1950 500A/B month!
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Willytx

Thanks guys! These A/B's do seem to be coming out of the woodwork.

A little more info: the dial is a 7A, dated 9-50. Below the date is the letter I. Farther around it says IL-65. On the inside of the base near the dial mount bracket is a splotch of white paint, next to that it looks like G3 is stamped. Or could be 63. The spot looks like it covers an older mark. Related to the receiver?

I wonder, if these went back for refurbishing and having the feet replaced, why wasn't the network upgraded to the 425B? Not that I mind finding this one, all these years on....

Quote from: Kenny C on April 09, 2011, 08:32:04 PM

That transmitter was made on my grandmothers 33rd birthday:)

Cool! That is the first birthday connection I have made.

A quick look in my 1953 500 and the ringer is a 12-53 C4A so no point in swapping those. Add that to the list of things to find.

paul-f

The replacement feet were used from mid-1963 to late 1965.  They were probably installed as the original feet were worn.

The network and equalizer must have been functioning fine -- no need to replace them!  ("If it ain't broke...")
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

McHeath

Your 1950 model seems to have a couple of very early parts.  The dial mount and hookswitch tower and levers look like aluminum instead of steel.  The only 1949 model 500 that seems to have survived has those parts in aluminum, while 500s from the end of 1950 seem to have steel dial mounts and hookswitch towers. 

LarryInMichigan

At least it has a modular cord ;D

Willytx

Quote from: McHeath on January 15, 2012, 12:19:33 AM
Your 1950 model seems to have a couple of very early parts.  The dial mount and hookswitch tower and levers look like aluminum instead of steel.  The only 1949 model 500 that seems to have survived has those parts in aluminum, while 500s from the end of 1950 seem to have steel dial mounts and hookswitch towers. 

I checked those parts with a magnet. The magnet sticks to the dial mount so it must be steel, just not anodized like later models. The magnet did not stick to the hookswitch tower, so it must be aluminum. Thanks for pointing that out, I wouldn't have noticed.