News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"What's the best you can do on this [item]?"

Started by mariepr, January 21, 2012, 08:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariepr

I'd like to get some feedback on how the rest of you handle after-auction inquiries.   

I've had a pretty valuable non-phone item listed on a Buy-it-Now or Best Offer.  No offers - fine, that's eBay.  During the listing there was a question but the bidder didn't bid. After the lising closes here comes an ebay message from same bidder, "What's the best you can do on this [item]?"  I'm not hard up for cash so I'm unwilling to sell at a give away price.  (I told him sorry, but the listing is closed and ebay will no longer take any offers.)

How do the rest of you handle these after-closing inquiries of "Is item X still available" and the like - especially from those who didn't bid or offer?

Phonesrfun

I'd say it depends on how badly you want to part with it.  If you think your BIN was fair, then stick to your guns.  The buyer was just hoping for a bargain, since it didn't sell.  If it were me and my price was fair, and I didn't mind re listing it, then tell him "Sorry, Charlie",  He knows to begin with that by asking, the worse you can do is say no.

-Bill G

twocvbloke

As a buyer, if I miss an unsold auction or BIN item I was watching (either forgetting about them or lack of funds available at the time), I send the seller a message asking if they're willing to take such and such a price, and if so, they relist it as a BIN at an agreed price, that way it's all official and not "behind the scenes" which keeps the buyer, seller and ebay happy... :)

As a seller though, if I was offering something I'd fixed up and cleaned up and wanted what I paid for it plus labour costs, and someone wanted it for less than the cost price, then I'd decline, but if it's reasonable, I'd take it... :)

Obviously, if someone's seriously low-balling me then I'd be as polite as possible in saying the profane version of "go away"... :D

AE_Collector

I agree with the above comments. I have contacted sellers before either making them an offer or asking if they will still sell it for the opening price. It leaves the opportunity up to the seller if they want to go around ebaY and make up for some of a reduce price by saving on fees or relist it with a buy it now for the person who enquired. I've even had sellers relist with a Buy it Now for me and forget to tell me about it. I found it listed on ebay where anyone could have "Bought it Now" close to 24 hours later.

Tell him your bottom price even if it was what it was listed at originally.

Terry

HarrySmith

I agree also. I have done it both ways, as a buyer & seller. I do not ask to sell outside eBay but I make it clear that is an option. If we make a deal outside I expect a better price as the seller is saving on fees. I have done this several times with a phone list member and got great deals. As a seller I also leave it up to the other party to as about an outside deal. All's fair on eBay as far as I am concerned, they get 19% of everything anyhow!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

This is an easy one, if you think the offer is fair accept it off of eBay. Ask the seller to send you their personal email (remove the @ and use AT to circumvent eBay blocking personal email) and pay through paypal. I do this as a buyer and a seller as well.

One thing I have found in collecting, I am guilty as well, is collectors thinks their stuff is worth much more than it is and stuff they are buying is way overpriced. What does this mean, I might have overpriced an item to what its current value is. It's a tough lesson, but...I can be wrong!

A good example is a WE 5J dial. Five years ago, you couldn't touch one for under $100 in good working order. Now....under $50. Supply and demand.

As a seller, you want to have great customer service and repeat customers. I am never insulted if I am low balled (in my opinion). I thank them for their generous offer and tell them the item will be re-listed next week. I never get mad, even when a buyer becomes insistant (it happens).

As much as I (expletive deleted) and moan about eBay, I wouldn't want to live without it. Definitely a love/hate relationship. Largest Antique/Flea Market/Yard sale brought right to my computer daily.

Doug
Kidphone

pbghmike77

I'm always a seller and only a necessity buyer. Anyone who is selling is obviously doing it for money and that is the bottom line. I have to agree with Doug, I will complete a transaction outside of Ebay in a heartbeat. 2.9% commission or 13.9%, pretty easy decision. I'm always fair about reducing the price outside of ebay, to me its a no brainer if you do the math and you still get the amount you would have on Ebay both buyer and seller are happy.

Like Doug says about low balls, the nice thing about BIN with BO option you can reject it. I typically have 50+ listings running at one time, mixed BIN and auctions. No need to be ugly about it just respectfully decline. This economy is rough and everyone thinks differently, I've always been told it never hurts to ask, you dont know unless you ask etc...

Good luck with buying and selling!!!