News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What does this part do?

Started by troydog, September 09, 2011, 05:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

Make sure the brass off normal cams fastened to the return spring do not bump or rub the contacts on the dial. If this is out of adjustment , the dial will not work properly
Robby

troydog

Hang with my I do not know the tec names for the parts.

This dial about made me go mad. Clicking in ear part sucks. So looking at the thing I found that the switch to cut mute audio was not doing it's job. So I gave it a darn fight an won this time around. Here is what I know there are two switchs on the back of one has I think 2 springs other 3.

The 3 spring one was not closing when you would dial. To fix this I had to bend the darn thing a little. Now no odd clicks when you dial and all sounds good.

I will be so happy to get a 5h dial for this.

old_stuff_hound

Robby/Troydog -- I'd love to see pictures of what you're both describing! :-)

troydog

Here is a photo of the back of the dial.

Switch on left side is the dial pulse switch

switch on right side is the switch to mute the audio when you dial. Brass tab is on the shaft of the dial next to the switch on the right.

What should happen I think when you dial all 3 switches on the right should close. Mine only two were closing. I had to bend the one by the shaft to fix this.

old_stuff_hound

Just to be absolutely clear, the indicated contacts were the ones not closing?

Cheers!

troydog

Yes it was the indicated contacts. To fig this out I turned the dial then bump them no dial tone at all. Think this must close I gave it a little bend and that fixed it. Also I keep a close eye on it when in use. Makes me wonder if the person with this phone before me got use to the loud click sounds.

old_stuff_hound

That set of contact (both sets -- the three arms) got damaged in shipping on my phone. I made a best guess and set them up so that the other set closed well ahead of the indicated set. Sounds like I should readjust a little to get them close sooner. Thanks!

troydog

Easy thing is when dial is at rest they should all be open. Once you turn tthe dial and the brass tab moves they all should close. 

Here is how I seen it works from what I seen.

When you turn the dial. The brass tab on the main shaft move to release the switch. The switch should all close. Once the dial is at rest they all should open. The last switch spring flat metal part is what had to be bent the one closes to the shaft. If bent to far no dial tone at all to far out you hear the click sounds of the dial. I bent it just a hair.

old_stuff_hound

Mine all close, but the "inner" set closes after the "outer" set. Given the way they're designed, that appeared to be the intent. But I think I have too much interval between the two sets closing.

Thanks for the info!

old_stuff_hound

Ok -- I closed up the points gap on the "inner" set so they close earlier. There's still some click, but it's much reduced. Thanks again!

troydog

No problem at all. I still have the faint clicks also but much better then before. lol I think of it like a radio turned all the way down but you can almost still hear if your close to it.

GG

Faint clicks are normal, so you can consider this problem solved.