"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Non-phone collector looking for phone purchasing help

Started by Basa, April 03, 2012, 05:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basa

Good afternoon,

First let me say great forum guys, nice community.  I am a WW II militaria collector and interested in antiques in general, and I am decorating my living in 1920's - 30's style (victrola included).  I am looking for a phone of that vintage to complement the room, preferably a candlestick one.  I did a little research and quickly found that there are fakes - I would rather not fall into that trap.   What are the best places to buy, besides e-bay?  If I post a link, would you guys be able to help?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Sebastian

LarryInMichigan

Sebastian,

Welcome to the forum.  Be warned that the one phone you buy for your living room may turn into tens or hundreds within a short time.  Many of us have been there :).

Ebay is probably the biggest source for antique phones, but many have been found on craigslist and other such sites and flea markets and estate, garage, and yard sales.  Prices are all over the place.  You are correct about fake candlesticks.  Here is a good page for tips on spotting fakes: http://www.oldphoneman.com/Fakes.htm.

If you find a phone and want an information about it and an opinion of its value, you can post information, links, and pictures here, but be warned that there are many visitors to this forum, so if you post a link to a bargain phone, it may be sold before you get your answer.

Also, note that most phones from the period you mentioned require a subset to work.  Subsets can be expensive and difficult to find, but cheaper substitutes can be found.

Enjoy!

Larry

Basa

Thanks Larry....I will have a look around e-bay.  I don't mind paying a little more, but I'm laos not sure what to get.  If I get one without a dial, I won't be able to use it, right?  But one with a dial I can actually use?  I wasn't planning on using it, but I wouldn't mind either!

liteamorn

I only want one, yeah that's how we all started. Then? Oh look a 302, oh and there is a,mushroom ! Suddenly you have the coolest phones all over the house, and they all work :) . Welcome and good luck!

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Basa on April 03, 2012, 10:30:33 PM
Thanks Larry....I will have a look around e-bay.  I don't mind paying a little more, but I'm laos not sure what to get.  If I get one without a dial, I won't be able to use it, right?  But one with a dial I can actually use?  I wasn't planning on using it, but I wouldn't mind either!

You can certainly use a phone without a dial, but making calls from it will be a bit tricky.  I have a non-dial Kellogg candlestick on the end table next to my sofa which I use to answer calls when I am on the sofa.  I also have these three 1920s/30s phones in my living room, all of which are connected and working.

Larry

AE_Collector

Likewise, you can't count on being ABLE to make calls on a dial phone anymore either. Some providers no longer accept dial pulses though they are still in the minority.

Terry

Basa

HarrySmith

Looks like a nice candlestick. Seems like a good price for it's condition. Now you need a subset!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

The seller was silent on what number dial is in the phone.  Looking at the photos, it looks like a #5 dial.  It would have been a better deal if it were a #2 or #4 dial.

Sargeguy

It looks like a pretty typical 151AL and the #5 dial is correct for it, especially since it has the Bulldog transmitter and 706A receiver.  Some 151ALs were assembled at the factory and were made from leftover or reconditioned parts.  Others were 51ALs that were converted and re-designated.  Some of these may have older parts.  During the Depression and WWII Western Electric did less manufacturing of new phones than at other times and a lot more re-purposing of old stuff.   The good news is that this phone stands a decent chance of working if you get a working subset (634A or 684A).  It probably dates from the early 40s.  .
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

Basa

Thanks guys, so where would one pick up a subset, ebay? 

I thought it was older, I thought by the 40's the candlestick phones were replaced by more modern ones...shows how much I know!

Basa

My phone arrives....I made a big mistake.  Not only do I now want to make it work, I want another one!   :)

twocvbloke

You are now a phone collector, it will never end.... :D

canuckphoneguy

Quote from: Basa on April 08, 2012, 02:57:37 PM
My phone arrives....I made a big mistake.  Not only do I now want to make it work, I want another one!   :)

Been there, thought that :) Now I'm up to 20 and it's only been since December!!!