News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Forum Software Update

Started by Dennis Markham, December 21, 2013, 07:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dave Zemens

I guess my point Paul is that there's nothing else *I* can do as the person who processed this update for Dennis. Standards compliant browsers work properly and show the images as the software developer intended. The problem is with the browser. That's all I can offer to those who are frustrated.
Dave Zemens
1955 Design | Rochester, Michigan
Website Design & Development
Custom WordPress Themes & Plugins

DavePEI

Hi all:

I just did some experimentation with Doug's post of the wooden box:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10796.msg115158#msg115158

This is one of those people using IE are having difficulty with. It works great in Firefox, Google Chrome, but fails to show the photos in IE (but has a link to download those photos, just won't display them.).

I saved a copy of the last photo to my machine, then deleted if from the message (w6.jpg). Then I opened up the photo in Photoshop and saved a fresh copy. Finally, I uploaded it to the server and re-attached it to the message.

Finally I checked it in all three browsers once again. All photos showed in Firefox and Chrome, and the last photo (the one I had re-saved) now showes in IE.

What does this tell us? That it isn't the board software that is the problem, it is the variety of JPEG or amount of compression of it. By re-saving it, note it now shows.

My best recommendation is to do as I and many others did years ago, and switch away from using IE. It is a very susceptible browser and the newer Firefox and Chrome are less so (note: all browsers are susceptible to exploits - IE is just more-so because the hackers hate Microsoft).

I should note that I was one who fought changing over from IE for a number of years, but since I did, would never change back.

However, with that argument out of the way, the point is that IE doesn't like the flavour of JPG. Re-saving it eliminates the problem. That we now know. Why exactly it makes a difference is anyone's guess.

I do want to point out that you can still view the photos in IE 8, 9, and 10, but you just have to download the image to your computer, and view the photo outside of your browser.

I realize a lot of people don't wish to change browsers lest they lose their bookmarks, but both Firefox and Chrome will import your IE bookmarks. Both are free. Both work very well.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave Zemens

I am doing a test here and adding one of the photographs from the post that won't display images properly in Internet Explorer. Bear with me as I conduct this test. 

Very strange, because when I view this post with Internet Explorer I *can* see the image, which is the same image that is *not* visible in this post:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10796.msg115158#msg115158

I'd be curious to hear from those using Internet Explorer if you can see the image in *this* post.
Dave Zemens
1955 Design | Rochester, Michigan
Website Design & Development
Custom WordPress Themes & Plugins

m1898

Just installed IE 10 and it looks a little better. Still have some photos not showing up. May try IE 11, not sure. I did download Firefox, but not sure about installing it yet. I know I will not go with Google, period. Since my reasons are political, and out of respect for Dennis's wishes, I will not state them on this forum. I know I will get some flak from some, but that's okay.   Jim
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

DavePEI

Quote from: m1898 on December 22, 2013, 08:55:16 PM
Just installed IE 10 and it looks a little better. Still have some photos not showing up. May try IE 11, not sure. I did download Firefox, but not sure about installing it yet. I know I will not go with Google, period. Since my reasons are political, and out of respect for Dennis's wishes, I will not state them on this forum. I know I will get some flak from some, but that's okay.   Jim
I don't think you need to worry about being political with that. I find Google intrusive, as well, and for that reason, though I do have Chrome on my machine for software testing purposes, I use Firefox as my normal browser, and use IE and Chrome only for testing purposes.

I think a lot of people feel that way about Chrome. However, it does work well as a browser but I am concerned about Google's propensity for data collection..

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Quote from: Dave Zemens on December 22, 2013, 08:39:58 PM
I'd be curious to hear from those using Internet Explorer if you can see the image in *this* post.

With IE 10, I can see the photo you put up in you post, the W6 photo Dave re-posted but none of the W1 to W5 pics Doug originally posted at the link provided. Hope that helps.

m1898

Thanks Dave.             Jim
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

TelePlay

Thanks Dave,

Just installed Firefox. Got my avatar back and can see all the pictures of Doug's box at the link given above.

Install was easy and fast and yes, it imported my IE links, favorites etc.

I'm a no to Chrome for all of the above . . .  ;)

Dennis Markham

I have been using Firefox for many years now and it has been trouble-free.

I seem to recall a thread some time ago where we talked about this issue.  I think there was some advice for I.E. users to make a minor adjustment in the settings to make things work properly.  I will have to search the Forum and see if I can find the info.  Maybe it is pertinent to this issue that some are having.

Nick in Manitou

TelePlay,
Thanks for the links showing where to reset the order things are presented in. 
I had gone looking for that when I first had the problem, but I could not find it.  Sorry that I asked a question that had already been covered!

Nick

Dennis Markham

Here's a thread that has the discussion I mentioned in my previous post.  This problem was a "jumping cursor" in Internet Explorer.  On reply #30 from Terry (AE_Collector), he suggested clicking the compatibility mode button at the top of Internet Explorer.  Don't know if that will work in the case of the missing photos but may be worth a try.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3690.msg105224#msg105224

TelePlay

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on December 22, 2013, 09:45:46 PM
TelePlay,
Thanks for the links showing where to reset the order things are presented in. 
I had gone looking for that when I first had the problem, but I could not find it.  Sorry that I asked a question that had already been covered!

Nick

Hey, Nick, glad to help. No need to apologize for that. Took me a bit of learning to make the change so just passing what I learned along to anyone who may have missed an earlier post. This is very quite active topic with a lot of posts making it easy to miss one post. Dave Z. was the first one to tell us how to make that change many pages ago  ;).

tallguy58

How do I get my signature bigger?

I've tried the usual BBCode without success.
Cheers........Bill

Phonesrfun

Quote from: tallguy58 on December 22, 2013, 09:58:50 PM
How do I get my signature bigger?

I've tried the usual BBCode without success.

In the profile settings, just before the sig, put [size=XXpt] Sig goes here [/size]

xx = number of points.  My sig is 13 pts, bold and italics
-Bill G