News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

help identifying 3-slot pay phone

Started by etamme, August 30, 2011, 12:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etamme

Hi all.  Im looking  at this payphone - trying to decide if i should buy it, but its got no keys etc.  So I want to know a little more about it and the possibility of being able to open it up... trouble is, im not familiar with the varieties of 3-slot pay phones... so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

Sargeguy

It is a Gray paystation, generally the mosty sought after of the 3-slots.  How much?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

etamme

well ...  currently its at a measly $82 (shhh! dont tell any one!) ... ending in 10 hours so .. we will see what it jumps to.  I knew pretty much any of the 3 slots were 150+ machines... so i thought i would stalk this one.

Thanks for the "standard name" makes it a lot easier to get relevant search results back.

etamme

Any ideas on the specific model?  I cant seem to find a gray paystation that has a handset with integrated transmitter and receiver, just ones where the transmitter is on the body.

Thanks again for the info,
Eric

rdelius

Grey sold out to AE in about 1948. Set has been rebuilt to AE standards. Model will be on a metal plate behind coin gauge. It is possible the only Grey part is the vault and back. A 29-s key will possibly open the upper part.You can get into the coin vault by removing screws in the  back and drillling out the reversed screws in the back. You do not need to mess up the coin vault or door.
Parts are availible to put back the open coin return
Robby

etamme

In case any one is interested you can find this phone for sale at the following link

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8473795
( dead link 06-19-21 )

I am saving for a house... currently in a 1 bedroom apartment .. so I should save myself some space, and some money by passing on this even though it looks like a gem.

Best of luck!
-Eric