News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE183 wiring

Started by cloyd, September 04, 2017, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

One isssue with type 183sets is that the wires going to the dial can get  twisted or pinched where they pass into the dial housing

cloyd

I connected my network as shown and it is dead.  I will have to find a replacement.
Thank you for your help!
Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

poplar1

Did you try this handset and cord on another phone? Seems that the cord or the receiver unit fails more often than the network.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

cloyd

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if this finger wheel is correct?  The information that I found for removing the dial center didn't match what I have.  I could use instructions for removing it properly.

I would also like to know if the dial is correct for the space-maker.

Thank you,
Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

cloyd

Quote from: poplar1 on September 12, 2017, 04:32:27 PM
Did you try this handset and cord on another phone? Seems that the cord or the receiver unit fails more often than the network.
I am going home now to test the handset.  I'll report back tomorrow! 
Thanks!
Tina

stub

Tina,
      Your fingerwheel has been changed, Here's what you have -                                     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

cloyd

I am getting discouraged about this phone!  I spent plenty on it and feel like I was taken for a ride.  >:(  Wrong finger wheel, faulty handset.

I tested the handset as per instructions.  I took pictures for others to reference.  I didn't get a dial tone from it but I wanted to make sure that my set-up was correct so I tested another handset and I did get a dial tone.  I have been working with phones with the help of this website for two years and I didn't know how to test a handset!  This is so good to know!  :-*

I tested for continuity across the terminals of the receiver unit and the transmitter.  It shows continuity but I don't know if that means anything about the functionality of each.

jsowers

Tina, think of it this way. It's much easier to find or re-spade a handset cord or find a new receiver capsule than it would be to find a new SpaceMaker network. So you don't have as big a problem as you thought you had. I don't think that fingerwheel looks bad at all. Keep it on there. It could've been installed by a tech sometime in its history since it seems to have the original GTE card on it.

Have you used a continuity tester to test all the wires in your handset cord? That could easily be the culprit here. If it's broken in the middle, then you'll have to get another one. But if a spade has lost contact, then sometimes just re-crimping the spades will work. I had a night-light phone where the yellow wire wasn't working, so the light wouldn't work. I figured it was the wall end since the phone end doesn't get much flexing, so I re-spaded it on that one yellow wire on just the wall end and it worked and I was very happy. Those mounting cords are 4-conductor and hard to find.

So good luck finding the root of the problem.
Jonathan

cloyd

Quote from: jsowers on September 13, 2017, 03:47:49 PM
Tina, think of it this way. It's much easier to find or re-spade a handset cord or find a new receiver capsule than it would be to find a new SpaceMaker network. So you don't have as big a problem as you thought you had. I don't think that fingerwheel looks bad at all. Keep it on there. It could've been installed by a tech sometime in its history since it seems to have the original GTE card on it.

Have you used a continuity tester to test all the wires in your handset cord? That could easily be the culprit here. If it's broken in the middle, then you'll have to get another one. But if a spade has lost contact, then sometimes just re-crimping the spades will work. I had a night-light phone where the yellow wire wasn't working, so the light wouldn't work. I figured it was the wall end since the phone end doesn't get much flexing, so I re-spaded it on that one yellow wire on just the wall end and it worked and I was very happy. Those mounting cords are 4-conductor and hard to find.

So good luck finding the root of the problem.

Thank you for the encouragement!  I need it sometimes.
I have tested the handset cord but I think I will check again since we seem to be narrowing down the field of culprits.
Tina

AE_Collector

I think the dial and finger wheel are likely correct/original to this 183. Many of the 183's had this "first generation" clear plastic FW and number card holder.

Terry

stub

Tina,
        The fingerwheel is fine, in 63 it could have both types . AE did one thing on paper and something different in practice.  I have several receivers, you can have one for the cost of shipping. It will be a few days till I can get to it as the wife is in hostipal . She might get to come home tomorrow. PM me your address, when I get a chance , I'll see what the shipping is from Tennessee. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Hey Ken...hope your wife makes it out soon.

For some reason it seems to me as though they used both these first generation plastic fingerwheels as well as the full chrome metal FW's on 183's much more than they did on other 80's, 90's etc. Of course the 183 was pretty much the only AE phone still using the 3" dial without the extended number ring into the 1960's but that on its own doesn't impact what fingerwheel and number card they used on it.

Terry

stub

Tina,
       Post pic of your receiver so I can get correct one for your phone. 

Terry,
        Maybe get out tomorrow.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

cloyd

I realized last night that I had another more recent AE and it had a similar receiver so I tested that handset.  No luck.  I switched the elements between handsets, no luck.  Do these things fail often?

Tina

stub

Tina,
          I've taken out a lot of bad receivers on my AE phones that have. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield