"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need Help Id-ing this Western Electric Rotary Phone

Started by tommycam, March 13, 2019, 07:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommycam

Hello All,

I bought this Western Electric phone but cannot figure out the model number or name. I've tried the numbers on the back, but nothing came up. I also went to a Western Electric ID page but could not find it. I'm attaching photos for your review. Thank you in advance!

tommycam

Sorry about the last photo. That was a mistake. Here is the right

jsowers

Your phone is a Design Line model, the Exeter. The model number is 900B3-58. The -58 is for the color white and 900 means Exeter and B means added line switch leads and 3 means etched metal faceplate, which isn't there any more. That's why the plastic isn't darkened except around the edges and where the handset is. The insert protected it from UV exposure. You can cut out a piece of wallpaper to insert there or leave it plain white if you prefer. They came both ways. Some of them came with college or pro ball team inserts, so if you have a favorite team, you can customize it.

The 77325 is the date it was made. It may be March 25, 1977, but I'm not completely sure because sometimes they used the week instead of the month in their date.

Here is a site that tells all about this and many, many other phones and should be your first source of information when trying to find out what you have. Paul Fassbender's site:

(this is the page on Design Lines) http://www.paul-f.com/weDesignLine.html#Exeter
(this is the main page) http://www.paul-f.com/

Bookmark it. You will use it often!
Jonathan

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tommycam

Thank you guys!!!!

I appreciate your help and the explanation!

Have a Great Night!!
Tom

jsowers

Quote from: poplar1 on March 13, 2019, 09:40:35 PM
77325 = 325th day of 1977 = November 21, 1977
Thanks, Dave. I would've had to take my shoes off to count that high.  ;) I knew there was some kind of formula, but not what it was.
Jonathan