News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 202 Network?

Started by Dave Beck, February 04, 2014, 02:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Beck

Do you need to add a network to these phone to make them work properly if you are no going to use a subset?

Thanks for any help,
Dave

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

If you're not using an original vintage subset, you will need to install a mini-network, or, if you can lay your hands on a busted-up 302, the bases can be easily converted to use as a subset for a 202.  You can even get custom covers for them.  I'm sure somewhere on this board there are instructions and sources for the mini-networks.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Does the 684 count as a "mini" network?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

I have been collecting telephones a long time and have removed many D1s or 202s plugged in in basements, garages, dens. bedrooms etc in working condition. No subsets or...... mini networks. All were used by folks who owned them for years. "Uncle Harry got that working years ago and he never even worked for the Phone Company!"

They just didn't ring. Mini networks were not made by Western Electric for the Bell Systems. I have never found a 202 with a mini network in it.  I have never used a mini network, they are not original to the phone.

A mini network in a 202 is a true Frankenphone.

Frankenphone: parts not original to the phone or made by the manufacturer.

100 year old telephones work just fine as they were designed, even on today's digital systems. How cool is that?

Would you put a mini amplifier in your Stradivarius.  Might sound better, might not  :-\

Larry Fine wouldn't. Wait for it.

Ain't nothin' like the real thing.....baby.

Mini networks are just wrong.. Talk amongst yourselves....Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

Well, if you want to be a purist, phones intended to have a subset that are connected directly to the phone line are also wrong. 

I would not put a deskset on the phone line without a subset, a mini network, or the RC "cheater".  Personally, I don't think connecting a phone through a mini network or a 302-subset or any other device that emulates a subset is wrong.  Electrically, it is much more right than connecting a deskset directly to the line.

All this is opinion, of course.  :)
-Bill G

poplar1

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 04, 2014, 08:09:36 PM
I have been collecting telephones a long time and have removed many D1s or 202s plugged in in basements, garages, dens. bedrooms etc in working condition. No subsets or...... mini networks. All were used by folks who owned them for years. "Uncle Harry got that working years ago and he never even worked for the Phone Company!"

Or Uncle Harry did work there, but they fired him for not following the BSPs.

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 04, 2014, 08:09:36 PM
They just didn't ring. Mini networks were not made by Western Electric for the Bell Systems. I have never found a 202 with a mini network in it.  I have never used a mini network, they are not original to the phone.

A mini network in a 202 is a true Frankenphone.

Frankenphone: parts not original to the phone or made by the manufacturer.

100 year old telephones work just fine as they were designed, even on today's digital systems. How cool is that?

Would you put a mini amplifier in your Stradivarius.  Might sound better, might not  :-\

Larry Fine wouldn't. Wait for it.

Ain't nothin' like the real thing.....baby.

Mini networks are just wrong.. Talk amongst yourselves....Doug

You are correct that mini-networks aren't original to the phone. But the following are original to a properly installed 202:

(1) No DC in the receiver
(2) No loud pop when hanging up or dialing (acoustic shock)
(3) No excessive sidetone when used with an anti-sidetone subset
(4) Ringer to let you know someone is calling you

You are also correct that 100-year old phones work as designed---as long as the desk phones are connected to a subset.

So while I agree with you about mini-networks, I don't agree that you should connect a 202 without a subset.

I also wouldn't recommend removing the induction coil, condenser, and ringer from every 302. And since original cords are often frayed or cut, repairing a phone so that it will work often means having to use new cords. It's also difficult to sell a phone if the number plates are worn out.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 04, 2014, 08:25:09 PMI would not put a deskset on the phone line without a subset, a mini network, or the RC "cheater".

As an FYI, I got a D1 off of ebay some time ago that had an "RC" cheater in it. Dug up the photo, below, which shows what it is in case your not familiar with that item.

Sargeguy

QuoteOr Uncle Harry did work there, but they fired him for not following the BSPs.

;D
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

The point being these were WORKING phones. They talked on them and dialed out on them. No subsets or mini networks, only BSP violations and honestly they did not know or care.  I asked if they worked and they said, "make a call."

My point, they worked.  Maybe not phone police correct, but they did the trick. I have collected for over 35 years and never opened a BSP. Sold  a few, but never read one.

When I first started collecting I bought a box of E1 and F1 handsets with alligator clips on the end. Poor techs Butt set.  BSP violation? They worked.....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

There used to be an old timer in Carrollton, GA with a Model A Ford that only had first gear. Everyone knew when he was driving because you could hear it whining blocks away. But it got him where he needed to go.

Kenton K

And subset-less phone are slowly being damaged by the DC in the receiver. I think that is the most significant part of a not using a subset. It prevents the damage to telephone.

K

poplar1

Quote from: Kenton K on February 05, 2014, 10:57:34 PM
And subset-less phone are slowly being damaged by the DC in the receiver. I think that is the most significant part of a not using a subset. It prevents the damage to telephone.

K

Receivers can be replaced. Ears damaged by acoustic shock, less so.

Greg G.

I'm pretty much with Bill on this subject.  Although I don't use any mini-networks or "cheaters", I don't consider them as being in the same category as Frankenphones.  I do have one or two formerly 302 bases that were converted for use as a subset.  My first choice is to try to find and use an actual vintage subset, but lacking that, I don't see anything wrong with using a busted up 302 that's not good for anything other than parts, being recycled for use as a subset.  As far as I can tell, minies and cheaters are entirely reversible.  For that matter, so is the 302 subset/base.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

Doug are kinda right, its not by the book, but it works. On the other hand the others are right to, you may get some pops in the ear when dial stops... and the receiver will be damaged after long time use.   If its your daily driver protect it, if you like to use it once in a while... no problem until you get the missing parts.
Even when it takes some years.

The capacitor and coil, or resistor trick are OK, and will fit into the base. Done the right way, it may be removed with ease to return to its original. The mini network may even get better sound than the original subset, but it is definitely not original!

dsk